Help me choose a coffee maker, espresso machine, and a grinder

danm77

Jul 19, 2019
Visit site
Newb here. These are the machines I'm thinking about:

• Breville BCG820BKSXL The Smart Grinder Pro Coffee Bean Grinder ($179)
  • DeLonghi America, Inc EC685R Dedica Deluxe 15-Bar Pump Espresso Machine ($244)
  • Breville BDC455BSS Precision Brewer Coffee Maker w/pour over kit (SCA/SCAA certified) ($219)

The grinder I chose because it has lots of electronics and can weigh and measure proper amounts so I don't have to. Dial-in a dose and get it! However, it does have some bad reviews having to do with jamming. So I may continue looking.

The espresso machine, DeLonghi Dedica Deluxe, was chosen because it is narrow and doesn't fill the whole counter. It had pretty good reviews and a little programmability. It's a manual but looked simple to operate.

The Breville BDC450 Precision Brewer Coffee Maker was chosen because it is SCA certified and at least I'll know it is doing exactly what it is supposed to do. I also liked that it has a stainless steel carafe which keeps coffee warm without reheating like a glass carafe with a hot plate. Seattle Coffee Gear seemed to like it also. (Edit: removed the Behmor Connect due to reviews)

What do you think of these choices? Is there better for the same price? What's your recommendation?

I think Breville makes the best espresso...I've literally had like 5 different ones and this is by far my favorite brand. I don't think they have a bad product, so even the lower priced options are very good.

Oleg

Jul 22, 2019
Visit site
I was also looking for coffee equipment then I found LinLin coffee beans, grinders and machines. it is the best plateform for coffee equipment.

Octane

Jul 24, 2019
Visit site
Hi, Joe!

I know there are a lot of high ratings for Breville, but I am still on the fence about Breville cheaper products. We own a lot of them, but some of the performance isn't as great as I would expect for the cost.
From my experience, you might try a Delonghi EC146. EC146 would be worth looking at purely because it as an unpressurized portafilter and baskets, this is going to give you the best chance to get a decent tasting espresso from one of those lower end machines. However what you will have to factor in is a decent burr grinder, and as it's been said Barratza is worth buying.

Albertmitchell

Jul 30, 2019
Buffalo
Visit site
Hi!
want to put in this two cents :)

The last my Espresso Machine I bought was Nespresso Inissia De'Longhi. Small and compact espresso machine that still accommodates larger cups and recipes, thanks to the folding drip tray. I'm very happy that choose this one

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
As far as grinders go... I would suggest taking a look at the Baratzas; the Encore is around $140 or Virtuoso is next step up around $200. If you want to do espresso - the Virtuoso is the least expensive option to go with.. and realistically it would be better to upgrade to Sette ~$250.. Now for espresso machines, anything worth buying is much more expensive. The lower end machines will be very disappointing if you expect to make 'cafe' drinks. They simply don't have strong enough pumps, etc to make decent espresso and frothing milk is worse. A Rancillio Sivlia is about the starting point for espresso machines around $700 (and again you will need a higher end grinder that grinds more consistently). The Behmor brewer is a good choice... never used it myself but I've heard its got a touch of a learning curve. I personally recommend the Bonavita 1600 w/ stainless craft.. usually about $150 and makes great coffee.

Since someone just asked the same type of question, I'm awakening this post.

Do your recommendations still apply this year too? (November-December 2019)