Help me roast, please!!!!

Random

Jun 26, 2006
Maine
Visit site
SO we need help. we have been doing some home roasting on our no brand roaster, and want to get into the real game. Does anyone know of a roasting trianing course in the North East? We are located in Maine and are working towards opening our own shop. Results have been mixed on our roaster so we think a base class would really help. :-D
Thanks
Dave / Marie

CanyonCoffee

Oct 21, 2005
Lincoln, NE
Visit site
The Diedrich class is great we learned a ton! I have also heard great things about the Ambex class. Talk to them both, decide which roaster you want to go with and then you will get a discount on the class.

Random

Jun 26, 2006
Maine
Visit site
That seems to be the the feel. We are still trying to figure out which roaster we want but will probably go with the training from the factory.
Thanks to both of you.
any other feedback on opening a new roatery in a small town is greatly appreciated.
Dave/marie
:)

CanyonCoffee

Oct 21, 2005
Lincoln, NE
Visit site
What we did is set up the roaster in a garage so that we can focus on learning to roast, cup and a multitude of other things before we open a retail storefront. It is amazing how fast you can get accounts. We had two wholesale accounts before we even had the roaster, which is too much presure to produce a great product right away. So I guess what I am saying is that I recomend learning to roast with a shop roaster and all that goes along with it before you try to open a shop.

Good Luck, and I hope this helps.

johng99

Feb 3, 2006
Visit site
I probably did it the hard way, but have certainly learned alot...

My wife owns an art gallery, and this year we decided to add a coffee bar. Well, as I had been a home roaster for awhile, we decided to go whole hog and roast our own coffee for our shop. Not wanting to spend alot of money, and being an engineer (in a past job) myself I settled on an old Otto Swadlo roaster that is basically a 3-4 kg cast iron machine, similar to Probat, mechanically it is in very good shape. I installed myself, upgraded the burner and controls, installed good 2100 degree exhaust ducting and took it to above roof level to avoid odor issues with neighbors. Net result, we are getting some very good coffee roasting results, and are getting very good feedback from customers, who really appreciate the fresh roast approach.
Our shop is in a small town, so for us we did not have to go through alot of red tape to install and open up. Basically, the city engineer approved the installation and my insurance company has insured the operation. Our small town really wanted our business to open, and hence has been a great help. (the city engineer even went to discuss with our landlord to assure him that the design and installation met local codes are were done correctly). My biggest piece of advice to you is to begin talking early and often with your town officials so that everyone knows exactly what you are doing and also that you know what approvals are required. This could be your biggest issue. Also, make sure you install safely.
Good Luck,
John

Snicker Do you want to know how/learn to ROAST? or how to use a fmg'rs roaster? That should be two duffernt things. Hmm, seems most of the ppl at the class I went to; wanted to follow the leader in roasting style. I sugest that you deside on a machine and then develop your own style. Try Roastersforum to learn: too.. Read the roasters manual -every word and seek help for the roastersforum. That's a different website. (http://bbs.stoneworks.com/rgbbs) That's my so called advice....

CIAO

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
NW JAVA said:
Hmm, seems most of the ppl at the class I went to; wanted to follow the leader in roasting style.
True but it is a good idea to get the basics at these classes so you do not burn your place donw on the first batch! :wink:

Hmm, well my didrich manual explanes in many places the required ducting, cleaning, seasoning, constant attention required. ect.... AS with computor matters : RFM ( read the f'n manual ) and things seem to go better. Some people don't feel that reading a manual is important, but it paramount!

My .02 :shock: :) :p :twisted:

Random

Jun 26, 2006
Maine
Visit site
We're back..We went to the training with Ambex in July, it helped quite a bit. Actually it told us what a piece of crap we were roasting on was, but we've purchased a Toper 2.5 KG which should be here towards the end of the month. We've now decided to roast from home and sell to area businesses and individuals if we can hook any. Financing wasn't there for us at this point for a shop so this is the next best route. Any advise on the wholesale market would be appreciated. We're thinking of selling at area craft fairs too, does anyone have any experience with selling at craft fairs? Seems like the best way to get individual customers. We're going to have a website but with 20 billion websites out there, we can't expect people to just happen upon us. Thanks for any input.

Marie/Dave

Mainecoffee

Oct 6, 2006
Visit site
Similar Maine interestsq

Random said:
We're back..We went to the training with Ambex in July, it helped quite a bit. Actually it told us what a piece of crap we were roasting on was, but we've purchased a Toper 2.5 KG which should be here towards the end of the month. We've now decided to roast from home and sell to area businesses and individuals if we can hook any. Financing wasn't there for us at this point for a shop so this is the next best route. Any advise on the wholesale market would be appreciated. We're thinking of selling at area craft fairs too, does anyone have any experience with selling at craft fairs? Seems like the best way to get individual customers. We're going to have a website but with 20 billion websites out there, we can't expect people to just happen upon us. Thanks for any input.

Marie/Dave

I'm from Maine and looking for local roasters. How can I get in touch with you?

joaquin

Aug 19, 2005
Puerto Rico
Visit site
a roast machine does not make you a roaster

tHE TIME AND EXPIRIENCE . the callos in the hands , the burns in the nuckles , and to have coffee up to your nose ,
That the expirience that no teacher or book will tell .