help! Need latte machine under $100

stevenjchang

Apr 9, 2007
Visit site
i know i know
for that cheap its going to make crappy coffee...but this is a gift. everyone at school is pitching in to buy a latte machine for someone who drinks 2 cups a day but cant afford it.

i cant seem to find one between $50-$90 that is decent. many reviews of Delonghi and Krups low end model says that they fall apart within the month. the quality of the espresso is not really an issue, the latte foam is a must. not looking for a quality \"drink\" just a quality durable machine that makes acceptable latte.

thanks for the help in advance, any advice on a machine or sharing of personal experience would help.

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
From what I've seen lately here's your best bet. Go to Wal-Mart's web site and do a search for espresso. Look for the Hamilton Beach Pump Espresso and Cappuccino Maker for $68.87 and there you go. I don't think you'll find anything in this price range as good and I've read some good reviews about it. It does have a pump, so steaming/frothing should be no problem. For your price range all you usually find is steam machines, which offer no steaming power whatsoever. Sorry for not being able to post the link. I'm not much of a computer geek. Hope this helps. Later!

Crazy4Coffee

Jan 27, 2007
Visit site
You'll be wasting money if you buy any Hamilton Beach machine. They are kind of like an "Easy Bake Oven" for espresso. :lol:
Their internal parts are made of plastic, as such, the water temperature is set lower so as not to melt those plastic parts. (Not a problem if you like a luke warm coffee substance that is nothing close to espresso.) The temperature regulators in these machines are cheap as well and the temperature will vary from machine to machine. If you luck out and buy one that properly heats the water, then the internal plastic parts will eventually melt and the machine will fail in less than a month.

Go to Bed, Bath and Beyond and spend a few bucks more for a Krups XP 4030. The price is $150. Use one of the store's 20% off coupons and it will only cost you $120. Just make sure that you always pre-heat the machine (turn it on for about 5 minutes before use, then fill at least one cup during a brew cycle without coffee to heat up the portafilter, etc.), never ever run it without water in the tank, and descale at least once a month.

It is far from perfect, but it will brew espresso with crema and makes a half decent steamed milk with foam. And, if need be, Bed, Bath and Beyond has a great return policy!

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
Krups??? You mean Kraps? They didn't get that name for nothing. I've read several reviews on various sites claiming that the HB machine is great for the money. Not sure about the longevity. You do indeed get what you pay for. If you read the post you'll see that this person probably can't raise that much money anyway. And for what? A piece of Krap that won't last much longer than last night's burritos? Later!

stevenjchang

Apr 9, 2007
Visit site
thank you guys. im new here and im impressed you guys have been great.

the update: tell me what you think

somebody on another forum suggested a 29.99 machine at walmart, said they are not picky about quality, but that they've personally owned that machine for 6 years (good sign)
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product. ... id=5390912

seeing that to beat this quality we'd have to take the leap to the above the $150 mark (as suggested by the second poster, who the third poster refuted)
we got him this machine and bought him a little something on the side. he's happy and is going to try it

thanks again.

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
I can honestly say that if you're serious about good espresso, save your time and money until you can get something decent. Maybe $150-200 for a nice grinder and at least $200+ for a decent pump machine. Believe me, like alot of others you will be disappointed with a machine like that unless that's all you can possibly afford. Later!