Help needed choosing machine

Wendy

May 10, 2006
New Zealand
Visit site
Hi all, I am a coffee addict from Dunedin NZ. I want a great machine for home, but with the option of using it as a back up machine for a cafe if needed. (My long term goal is to open an espresso bar) I am looking at a professional 1 group at this stage. I have found on Trade-me which is like e-bay, 3 machines and would love some advice. What do you think of these ??
Carimali Uno E rotary pump 1.6kw 1 group $400
Promac CME-ME 2 Group $1500
Astoria CKE with a Rocky Grinder $1000

I had a play with a Vibiemme Domobar Super the other day, a great machine but just to pricey for me.

any advice greatly appreciated.

Hello Wendy, good to see another kiwi onboard! Welcome. Obviously as a C.M.A agent, I am always keen to talk up CMA machines. The CKXE is a good machine- I am asuming it is a rotary pump version? If so, and depending on condition, it would be a good buy with a Rocky thrown in. These machine retail for around $1900-$2200 new (thats without the grinder). I have had some good experiences with Carimali- they have a decent reputation in Southeast Asia (good service backup).

I m afraid I know nothing about Promac, so can not give you anything on that brand of machine.

If buying on ebay make sure you get the 220v version, not a 110. :grin: Good luck.

Wendy

May 10, 2006
New Zealand
Visit site
Hi,
thanks heaps for help. Can you please explain something to me I may sound silly not knowing. Someone said to me I need to have a thermosiphon or saturated group head ... which means that they would avoid the Astoria. Any help would be great. By the way i am really only interested in it for home use at this stage. I want to get my skills back since I have been away from a commercial machine for a few years, still in the hospo industry just in a managerial role in a large company without espresso and I miss it heaps !!

Hi Wendy, the CKX/E uses a e61 group head, like many commercial machines do. It also has a dosage control system- pretty much exactly the same as those on the Wega, Astoria and San MArino full cmmercial packages. For home, or small cafe usage, the heat exchange system is enough to keep the water hot- and steam plentiful. The boilers are set to run at 116 degrees centigrade- constant. Maybe do a comparitive search on a forum like coffeegeek?