Help: Newbie Latte Art Diagnosis (Cont Update)

onedge

Mar 12, 2022
singapore
Visit site
Hi Everyone,

I am very newbie and new to latte art, (<30 cups poured), still struggling with frothing/air integration and of course pouring, this is the best I can do for now (this image is on hot chocolate, full cream milk, steamed in 12oz/350ml pitcher then transported to 20oz pitcher for pouring, 2 hole steam tip on ECM classika), most of the time I found my milk is too thin? after the initial pour, I feel the shape/line is kind of spread away, i.e. the shape/round dot is not very stable.

Whats the best I can do now to improve quicker?

Thanks All!!

12871647078934_.pic_hd-min.jpg

Seb

Mar 18, 2014
Quebec/Canada
Visit site
You are doing really good already! Too thin is very easy to fix, you just need to incorporate a little bit more air during the first half of the steaming period. The half point is when the milk is at your body temperature and from this point you should not incorporating more air, you just need to continu swirling the milk in the pitcher from the exact same initial steam position to texture the milk until at the correct final temperature. It’s very hard to explain how to improve latte art, the best way is by videos and some of the bests are from Youtube channel of two times world latte art champion Lance Hedrick. He has begginer video then few more advanced ones. He explain it perfectly

onedge

Mar 12, 2022
singapore
Visit site
You are doing really good already! Too thin is very easy to fix, you just need to incorporate a little bit more air during the first half of the steaming period. The half point is when the milk is at your body temperature and from this point you should not incorporating more air, you just need to continu swirling the milk in the pitcher from the exact same initial steam position to texture the milk until at the correct final temperature. It’s very hard to explain how to improve latte art, the best way is by videos and some of the bests are from Youtube channel of two times world latte art champion Lance Hedrick. He has begginer video then few more advanced ones. He explain it perfectly
Thanks for the reply....today morning I tried oats milk, way too thin, nothing to work with...then I steamed full cream..way too formy, lol this is what I get this morning..
1234.jpeg

😭 😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭

Seb

Mar 18, 2014
Quebec/Canada
Visit site
Oat milk is much more difficult. Try to stick with only one type of milk, for example cow milk at 2% or whole and stick with it for many months until you are confident you get it right. Because each milk will react a bit differently and it will be hard to learn if you change frequently.

onedge

Mar 12, 2022
singapore
Visit site
Oat milk is much more difficult. Try to stick with only one type of milk, for example cow milk at 2% or whole and stick with it for many months until you are confident you get it right. Because each milk will react a bit differently and it will be hard to learn if you change frequently.
Thanks for the advice! I will do, stick with dairy milk first, practice practice !!

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
Just keep in mind your typical non dairy products typically don't have any emulsifier so they don't froth like dairy milk. That is one of the key differences in non dairy's made for the coffee indusry (and they hold up to milk steaming better).

onedge

Mar 12, 2022
singapore
Visit site
Just keep in mind your typical non dairy products typically don't have any emulsifier so they don't froth like dairy milk. That is one of the key differences in non dairy's made for the coffee indusry (and they hold up to milk steaming better).
Thanks for the information!!

onedge

Mar 12, 2022
singapore
Visit site
14 March 2022 Morning, ECM Classika, Whole Milk

Q: I did start pour in the middle half of the cup and tried to be prop vertical to the side of the cup, but however after the milk drop in, it start to twist/bend to other direction instead of going forward and symmetric, what would be the main cause here?

"Didnt mean to be non-symmetric"
1647224753060.jpg

Seb

Mar 18, 2014
Quebec/Canada
Visit site
When you begin incorporating the milk, pour from mid height right into the middle of the cup, the milk will sink. You can do small mouvement from left to right but do not go up to the side. When ready to start pouring for latte art, be sure to stop and wait till the surface does not moove, then bring the pitcher close to the cup (it can touch) and start pouring, if your hand movement is steady it should not go sideway or be asymetrical. But remember practice is everything.

onedge

Mar 12, 2022
singapore
Visit site
16 March 2022

"Basic Heart (?Walnut)"

1647404521314.jpg

1647404536376.jpg

@Seb suppose to be round shape, but I made it......like walnut, any reason why? I pour in the same position and rotate the cup, pour too fast?

Seb

Mar 18, 2014
Quebec/Canada
Visit site
You need wider movement, don’t pour too fast effectively that should help spread the patern more. Also, you can try different cup as it will change your results. I have some cups at the Cafe that i have much more difficulty with. The shape and size of the cups will affect your result a little bit but some are harder. Start from one simple patern and wait till you nail it every time. Like do an heart. Then go one step further and do a tulip for example, then add more layer to your tulip, then do a rosetta, than a swan, etc… I am not a pro btw, you will get better feedback watching all videos on latte art by Lance, he is really good to explain the basic technique.

onedge

Mar 12, 2022
singapore
Visit site
You need wider movement, don’t pour too fast effectively that should help spread the patern more. Also, you can try different cup as it will change your results. I have some cups at the Cafe that i have much more difficulty with. The shape and size of the cups will affect your result a little bit but some are harder. Start from one simple patern and wait till you nail it every time. Like do an heart. Then go one step further and do a tulip for example, then add more layer to your tulip, then do a rosetta, than a swan, etc… I am not a pro btw, you will get better feedback watching all videos on latte art by Lance, he is really good to explain the basic technique.
Thanks, I will try to nail heart first, Yes, I watched his video also Emilee's, but even watch 100 times each clip, still hard to re-produce, lol, I think thats just normal for beginners, I will keep trying, thanks!!