Help Please: First Home Espresso Machine - Need Advise About Coffee/Water Ratio, etc

I may be getting my very first home espresso machine for Christmas and I would like some help. Are there any basic guidelines as far as to the ratio of coffee to water? How do a weigh my coffee with a scale? What is the difference between the texture of cream for a latte and cappuccino?

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
Bottom line is going by volume, time, weight, etc. will simply get you to a ballpark area, then you fine tune based on taste, texture, etc. How much coffee you use depends on the machine (group/shower screen design, basket depth), grind fineness, etc. Feel free to try the 2 oz. in 30 seconds type guidelines to get started.

Get a decent scale that weighs within .1 gram increments. A few tenths in either direction won't make much difference, but .5 grams or more definitely will.

The only difference between a latte and cappuccino is air. When texturing for a cappuccino just use less milk in the pitcher and apply more aggressive steam/air to allow it to expand about double the volume. If done in a decent manner it won't be dry/bubbly unless that's what you want. Ratio-wise a cappuccino will be about 50/50 on the steamed milk/froth volume and a latte more like 80/20, but if textured in a decent manner the end result for either should be silky smooth and not really separated.

Last edited:

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
Any idea what machine? Needs to be paired with a decent grinder and FRESH coffee suitable for espresso. Any coffee can be used for any brew method, but some are better suited for particular applications. Extracting espresso involves pressure and that magnifies any flaws in a coffee...

Elimlee

Nov 21, 2018
Visit site
Bottom line is going by volume, time, weight, etc. will simply get you to a ballpark area, then you fine tune based on taste, texture, etc. How much coffee you use depends on the machine (group/shower screen design, basket depth), grind fineness, etc. Feel free to try the 2 oz. in 30 seconds type guidelines to get started.

Get a decent scale that weighs within .1 gram increments. A few tenths in either direction won't make much difference, but .5 grams or more definitely will.

The only difference between a latte and cappuccino is air. When texturing for a cappuccino just use less milk in the pitcher and apply more aggressive steam/air to allow it to expand about double the volume. If done in a decent manner it won't be dry/bubbly unless that's what you want. Ratio-wise a cappuccino will be about 50/50 on the steamed milk/froth volume and a latte more like 80/20, but if textured in a decent manner the end result for either should be silky smooth and not really separated.

Wooow you are so professional:coffee:

Any idea what machine? Needs to be paired with a decent grinder and FRESH coffee suitable for espresso. Any coffee can be used for any brew method, but some are better suited for particular applications. Extracting espresso involves pressure and that magnifies any flaws in a coffee...

I know I want the Breville Infuser BES840XL and the smart grinder pro. My coffee I want is the Buddy Brew Cuban espresso made in Tampa FL.

Last edited:

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
$16 per 12 oz. bag? Kind of expensive if you ask me, but to each his/her own. Never had a Breville product, but they seem pretty good for what they're designed/priced for. That combo and fresh coffee should keep you happy for some time.