Help Please: I Need Artisan Setup Help!

argudbrandson

Jun 27, 2017
Visit site
Hello Coffee Roasters!

I am looking to switch over my current roasting setup in order to begin using Artisan 2.0.
I am roasting on a USRC 12kg equipped with a Phidget 4 temperature Sensor. My biggest issue that I am having with this is achieving an accurate temperature reading within Artisan. When I hook up the computer to my roaster, the output temperature reading is something astronomical, +300F off, from what my roaster is actually reading.

Any ideas on what I may be missing? I've tried downloading the Phidget driver from the website, but that doesn't seem to help. What other information might be helpful in figuring this out??

THANKS
~AG

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
AG - is Artisian reading normal temperatures when cold? If you go into the Device Assignment (Config > Devices) do you have the right Phidget device selected? Most likely a 1048 TC (for thermocouple).. there are several Phidget controllers. If memory serves me right Artisian simply reads the Phidget info..

argudbrandson

Jun 27, 2017
Visit site
Musicphan - Atisan does read normally when the roaster is cold, but once I turn the flame on, the temperature readings increase faster than the readout on my roaster. I'll double check what phidget controller I have selected.

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
Also, check to see if there is a setting for the type of thermocouples. I don't believe you adjust this with the Phidget but double-check. I know when I run it the thermocouples through a different device I have to set the type of thermocouples or I get odd readings like your getting. And don't hesitate to drop Marko a support ticket - a very nice guy and very response. Just don't forget to donate to help fund development ;)

almico

Feb 17, 2015
Visit site
Under Config>Device>Phidget make sure you have the correct thermocouple type checked. It sounds like you have a J-Type and Artisan is set for a K.

Apart from ensuring you have the correct thermocouple type configured in Artisan to match your actual thermocouple, one thing I noticed was that the computer you are using should not be connected to a power source. The roaster is grounded and, if the computer is also grounded, you will probably have a ground loop that will skew the temperature readings. I always use a laptop to run Artisan. One time, I tried connecting the laptop to power and the temperature readings immediately skewed. That said, not by anywhere near the amount you have mentioned.