Help Please: I'm Considering Opening a Cafe

Melphegore

Mar 8, 2017
Visit site
Could someone with knowledge could give me tips? I keep looking at my numbers and options but they are low. I don't understand how you can sustain yourself in the coffee shop business. Am I crazy? A lot of new places around me are successful but no one has agreed to talk to me and give me tips before of fear of competition which I understand totally. I really want to open a French cafe but I am scared I will never make it!!!
Thank you for any help :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Melphegore

Mar 8, 2017
Visit site
i do not have any experience, i just bake for friends and family and love coffee so i thought I would combine all that and be my own boss :)
Thank you for any input you have

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Quetzaltenango, Guatemala
Visit site
i do not have any experience, i just bake for friends and family and love coffee so i thought I would combine all that and be my own boss :)
Thank you for any input you have
if you ask me, before you open your own cafe, you need to know the business in some degree which will prevent big failure from the beginning. So, my advise is to get yourself some good experiences on all different levels of your future business.

Melphegore

Mar 8, 2017
Visit site
I have a space I am looking at that would be perfect (there is nothing really around and a lot of shops and offices) When you say experience do you mean searching the businesses around and data and such?

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
I have a space I am looking at that would be perfect (there is nothing really around and a lot of shops and offices) When you say experience do you mean searching the businesses around and data and such?
as example, If I wanted to open an hamburg shop, I need to learn how to make it right, what good materials i can buy and where I can buy them at good pricing, also I need to know how to hire right employees for the shop that means I need to know what to look for in that person.

so, when I say "experience", you need to work in a cafe and do various types of work, so when you want to open your shop, you will know how everything works more or less.

Melphegore

Mar 8, 2017
Visit site
Got ya. Yes, I am going to do a barista training and I am working with the SBDC on how to start a business and I have a friend/mentor who is opening his third shop who is helping me.
I cannot work in a cafe, i have a job I have to keep until I open mine unfortunately but I see what you mean. Thank you so much for your advice.

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
Got ya. Yes, I am going to do a barista training and I am working with the SBDC on how to start a business and I have a friend/mentor who is opening his third shop who is helping me.
I cannot work in a cafe, i have a job I have to keep until I open mine unfortunately but I see what you mean. Thank you so much for your advice.
Yep! that would do it. Good luck to you!

jeffbrackin

May 26, 2017
Visit site
Take your time. Go through different resources. Compare/choose best coffee machines. Take necessary training/mentoring and find best place. That I believe you are already doing. Anyway best of luck.

Phixiara

Jun 2, 2022
New York City
Visit site
Hello! Please share your experience. Have you opened your cafe? Please tell me about that it is interesting how it was athen as now I am goining to open mine.
Now I have such plan: find a place(almost done), making a site, register LLC - https://bestllcservices.co/start-an-llc-in-south-carolina/ now it is easier to do it online. Also I am working on collaboration with my friend who is baking super tasty pastry - want to sell it at my cafe. What did I miss?

Last edited:

xisula

Jun 8, 2022
toronto
Visit site
Could someone with knowledge could give me tips? I keep looking at my numbers and options but they are low. I don't understand how you can sustain yourself in the coffee shop business. Am I crazy? A lot of new places around me are successful but no one has agreed to talk to me and give me tips before of fear of competition which I understand totally. I really want to open a French cafe but I am scared I will never make it!!!
Thank you for any help :)
Don't be worried about it, if you have no experience about the French coffee shop. You can contact with some experienced person. I think you have to start with small shop, and slowly slowly upgrade it. Best wishes for your shop.