Help Please: Looking for a nondiary milk recipe

vegan

Jan 21, 2017
Visit site
I have been looking for a nondiary milk recipe that I tried at Resonance Café in Montreal and was wondering if anyone could help me. It was actually the best milk ive ever had in my life, even better than diary milk. It was nutty, had hints of coconut, perfect texture, didn't go bad after a while and just all around AMAZING.
The Café barista's first promised to share the recipe with me by email. Unfortunately they have not honored their promise, and after I had left the city, I left them several emails and called them twice to ask them again, even go desperate and messaged their fb page but they just ignored me.

I have lost hope that they would reply and share their amazing recipe with me.
My problem is that regular almond milk tastes bitter after it has been frothed, and after a few minutes tastes very off. This may be due to separation of some sorts (not a chemist so excuse me)
Anyways, the barista there told me that they have an 8:1 almond coconut milk ratio, and they add xanthan gum to emulsify the milk.

I have been scouring the web for anything that resembles that recipe but I cant find anything other than how to make almond milk from scratch
I have tried most types of non-diary milks on the market and they just don't satisfy or come close to what I had at that café.

I am wondering if anyone could point me to a direction that would help me find this recipe? or if there are any on this forum? I am new here so please help

Last edited by a moderator:

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
It sounds like you have at least the start of the recipe... I would try making your own almond milk and adding 8 parts to 1 part coconut milk. Skip the xanthan gum for now, its 'flavorless'...

Jayzoll

Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
It sounds like you have at least the start of the recipe... I would try making your own almond milk and adding 8 parts to 1 part coconut milk. Skip the xanthan gum for now, its 'flavorless'...

interesting...any issues with the coconut milk hardening/separating during storage? or do you store almond milk and coconut milk separately and only add the coconut milk before steaming?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
interesting...any issues with the coconut milk hardening/separating during storage? or do you store almond milk and coconut milk separately and only add the coconut milk before steaming?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've never tried it... I was just pointing out you have most of the info to create your own. From personal consumption of both, yes I would think they would seperate overnight. I would imagine that is what they are using the xantham gum. I'll know one of my clients makes all of their 'milks' in-house... I'll see if he has any advice.

FireDragon76

Jan 24, 2017
Visit site
The almond might be tasting bitter due to oxidation due to frothing.

I can't stand almond milk, I would rather drink soy milk because it is less chalky and bitter tasting.

Currently I am using Walden Farms creamer flavoring. I don't make latte's so I don't need to froth it, but it tastes like cream. Add a little coconut milk and it's just fine. Coconut milk won't froth though- I would try rice milk if you want frothing.

vegan

Jan 21, 2017
Visit site
Do you add the creamer to the milk and just heat it? how do you add it to your espresso? I'm looking to make lattes and cappuccinos so do you think I could steam it after I add it to a non-diary milk? is it just a taste-enchancer or does it have other properties?

I may purchase it, looks cheap and its vegan!! thank you for mentioning it

FireDragon76

Jan 24, 2017
Visit site
I've been using whey protein isolate, about two teaspoons per six ounces of water. It froths very well. The only people that couldn't drink this are those with dairy allergies or vegans. I have problems with caesin in milk.