Help Please: Phillips 3200 - Difference between an Americano and Plain Coffee ??

joelcop

Jan 8, 2021
Visit site
I am considering purchasing a Phillips 3200. It has an Americano button and a Coffee button. I understand what an Americano is, but can anyone explain the difference between these two buttons?
I tried calling Phillips customer service and they didn't know.

nosrepmodnar

Jan 21, 2021
Visit site
I am considering purchasing a Phillips 3200. It has an Americano button and a Coffee button. I understand what an Americano is, but can anyone explain the difference between these two buttons?
I tried calling Phillips customer service and they didn't know.

I ran through all settings when I first got it. The americano button just seems to have a higher water to espresso ration than the coffee
So the buttons go from lowest to highest added water, with espresso being none.
I can force myself ;) to make a coffee and an americano when i get home to confirm :D

nosrepmodnar

Jan 21, 2021
Visit site
Made an americano now sine it is close to bedtime but I had some desert. Gave me a shot of espresso, dumped the puck and then added water to about 8oz on single cup. Double coffee gives me 8oz, but 2 pucks ran the whole time

D

Deleted member 39056

It seems that the coffee setting runs the water through the puck the whole time, whereas the Americano setting gives you a single espresso shot and then clear water for the remainder. Don't know if they use different pressures in the water pumping/extraction stage. Maybe you would get a slightly stronger brew via coffee setting since the water that fills up the cup runs through the grounds the whole time? J