Help Please: Probat L-Series Roaster Airflow & Hopper Question (L5, L12)

MorningGlory

Sep 4, 2019
Illinois
Visit site
Hi All,

I'm trying to get more information about the airflow of the L5 & L12 roasters. Specifically, they seem to have a pipe or duct exhaust running horizontally and parallel above the drum from the back to the front of the roaster. This pipe appears to connect with the hopper, but I can't quite figure out what it does there. Does the hopper open into the pipe for some reason?? Seems bizarre. Basically, the hopper plate which connects to the roaster face and feeds at the top of the drum seems to also intersect with this open pipe. ...why?

Is there anyone out there who could send me a shot of their L5 or L12 Probat hopper interior (looking from above down into the hopper), with the feed door alternately open and shut? That would be a big help.

Thanks all! Any help would be much appreciated! More generally, any thoughts on the L-series airflow as it compares to the P-series would also be welcome!

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
That is the exhaust coming out of the drum... it will contain hot air and chaf. Typically that exhaust will lead to a cyclone to remove the chaf particles. Each manf has slightly different designs but the concepts are the same.

roaster-diagram.jpg

MorningGlory

Sep 4, 2019
Illinois
Visit site
Thanks!! Guess I was overlooking the obvious— I'm used to roasting on someone else's P5 (so I've never looked into the venting besides airflow control on the exterior exhaust lines) and a couple of antique sample roasters of different sizes that all vent from the back.

Any recommendations on refabricators? I have a machine that needs a new hopper, and I'm not looking forward to working on that flap mechanism.

Last edited:

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
Thanks!! Guess I was overlooking the obvious— I'm used to roasting on someone else's P5 (so I've never looked into the venting besides airflow control on the exterior exhaust lines) and a couple of antique sample roasters of different sizes that all vent from the back.

Any recommendations on refabricators? I have a machine that needs a new hopper, and I'm not looking forward to working on that flap mechanism.

Sorry no... but there is a guy that sells refurb roasters on here in the For Sale section... I believe he reconditions them.