Help Please: Why would the coffee puck be slanted ?

Loucypher

Apr 27, 2021
Visit site
I've noticed that the top of my puck is slanted sometimes, what would cause this, my machine is brand new, I've had it a month.
I just did my first cleaning today (back flush and removal of the shower screen and head to clean), pulled my first shot after the cleaning and the puck was extremely slanted, what would cause this.
I have the Gaggia Classic Pro.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hello Loucypher,

I'm not familiar with the Gaggia machine.

Have you tried adjusting the pressure when you use the tamper with the portafilter?

You may be leaning your hand slightly to the side and not using even pressure as you tamp and smooth out the coffee in the filter. If you don't use even, ( straight down) pressure, you will push and pack the grounds unevenly in the portafilter. Then, when you make the coffee, the water will flow unevenly, and you will see the slant or channeling in the puck.

~ Rose

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
It's almost certain that it would be your tamp. If there was a lot of coffee stuck to the head than you have a volume issue. I find a portafilter stand to be helpful.

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
In addition to the possibility of an unlevel tamp motion, if you are a bit low on the dose there can be a bit too much headspace and the water pressure can cause the puck to shift. Main thing is how was the extraction? Taste and texture what you like? Did it seem to extract fast/channel?

Loucypher

Apr 27, 2021
Visit site
The slanted puck I was referring to was extremely slanted, I estimate it was about a 10 degree angle, but it really hasn't happened again so maybe it was a one off problem.

Loucypher

Apr 27, 2021
Visit site
Hmmm, happened again today, I'm using a calibrated tamper now, I took note on the puck after I tamped the coffee and it was pretty level, after the shot it was slanted again, can't figure out what is going on