HELP! Rewiring a 1980s Probat l12

pcc

Feb 19, 2020
Visit site
Hey guys hoping for some expert advice as im going crazy getting this probat L12 up and running!

Shipped from canada to UK a beautiful single motor 1980s probat, all wiring set up for canada so have to use a step down transformer - all ok there for now (i hope) - although i would like some advice on how easy it would be to rewire the whole machine to work in the UK?

Its been months and months of adjusting and getting parts but we finally had results and up and running then....

Did around 60kg till there was a very loud clanking noise.... the fan connected via the shaft straight to the motor had moved forward touching bolts inside the rear of the roaster.... not the end of the world but once took apart realised the grub screw wasnt making full contact to shaft??

Once put back on (using Locktight) on start up the capicitator blew?!
Just unlucky we thought as had been perfectlty fine so ordered a replacement - ofc being UK based and it being a Baldor motor had to order from states - one week later we get our piece.... boom it goes again!???
Dodgy motor?

Any advice would seriously be amazing as every time we get to the last hurdle somthing like this happens!!

If i put a UK motor will i need to rewire the whole machine?
I could order a new Baldor at £480 i dont want to find that thats not the problem.

I cant seem to find anywhere advice on rewiring old Probats or even motors compatible but i see so many refurbed and altered ones online!

expat

May 1, 2012
Ireland
Visit site
Let us know how you get on. A friend in N. Ireland recommended them as he has had long years of dealing with them. James Jordan is the name of the guy to talk with. If they are a good resource then he could become a good go-to guy for UK forum members. He usually has a Probat or two for sale.

expat

May 1, 2012
Ireland
Visit site
Hi Pink Rose,
Thanks for that. We've just been real busy so my leisure browsing of Coffee Forums has slacked off quite a bit. Then since mid-December we've had 4 hurricanes / or hurricane-like storms blow through our area (don't tell the naysayers but I think, at the very least, Climate Change is here in a big way). The first storm took the roof right off of our little roastery. In Ireland the country pretty much shuts down about the 20th of December, I mean SHUTS DOWN!, so we didn't even start to get the roof back on till 10 January. Needless to say it was stressful. We lost some coffee, had to do some electrics work on the roaster, lost other things like a pallet of boxes, etc. Thankfully we've got great customers and they all were very understanding.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hi Pink Rose,
Thanks for that. We've just been real busy so my leisure browsing of Coffee Forums has slacked off quite a bit. Then since mid-December we've had 4 hurricanes / or hurricane-like storms blow through our area (don't tell the naysayers but I think, at the very least, Climate Change is here in a big way). The first storm took the roof right off of our little roastery. In Ireland the country pretty much shuts down about the 20th of December, I mean SHUTS DOWN!, so we didn't even start to get the roof back on till 10 January. Needless to say it was stressful. We lost some coffee, had to do some electrics work on the roaster, lost other things like a pallet of boxes, etc. Thankfully we've got great customers and they all were very understanding.

Geezzz . . . I'm sorry to hear that problems in 2019 spilled over into 2020. I hope the rest of the year goes smoothly for you. I have no doubt that your customers totally appreciate doing business with you, and they'd have no problem patiently waiting for you to get rolling (and roasting) again.

It's always great to see you visit the Forum - whenever you have the time. :)

~ Rose