Help starting a coffee shop

newbe

Mar 9, 2005
Texas
Visit site
I am moving to Dallas, TX and want to open a coffee shop. I have the funds to start but do not know much about coffee or where to buy the beans or equipment at a good cost. I also need help starting a business plan and how to get trained.

COFFEEISGOOD

Mar 8, 2005
NORTH CAROLINA
Visit site
I bought a book called Start and Run a Coffee Bar by Tom Matzen and Marybeth Harrison and it has been extremely informative. I took a business class on starting your own business, but I don't think that I learned anything that wasn't already in this book. If you want to find a good bean distributor, I would check with other coffee shops in the area and try to get prices and info from them. You don't want to have the same distributor and you definately don't want to pay more for your product. A good way to get the info if you don't feel like they will be helpful is to act like you're a grad student doing a project. Good luck!

Java Lover

Aug 31, 2004
Omaha, NE
Visit site
I'm part of Scooter's Coffeehouse, which originated in Omaha, Nebraska. We have been voted "Best of Omaha" the past three years, even with quite a few Starbucks in town. We are just starting to expand outside of Omaha, soon to open three coffeehouses in the Austin area. If you are interested, take a look at www.scooterscoffeehouse.com.
Good luck!!

barefoot

Sep 21, 2004
Santa Clara, CA
Visit site
getting started

do these things:
join the SCAA www.scaa.org
attend the SCAA conference in April in Seattle and go to tons of classes there and talk to vendors
subscribe to Fresh Cup and Specialty Coffee Retailer www.freshcup.com www.specialty-coffee.com
Partner with a great artisan coffee roaster and pick their brain till they cry mercy.
Work in the best cafe within 50 miles of your house and learn everything you can good and bad.