Help troubleshooting my new (used) Rancilio Epoca DE

Cool_Beans_Mobile

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
I could use some help figuring out what's going on with my new Epoca DE. I bought the machine used and hooked it up this evening to clean it and test it out. Followed the manual and the cleaning went well. But when I went to brew a double shot, using the programmable keypad, it brewed it in about 7 seconds flat!

Now it is possible that I didn't tamp it well enough because all I have is a cheap plastic tamper from my little home machine. However, it did not create a whole in the middle of the grinds and it did produce a pretty firm cake after brewing completed. But it just filled to shot glasses in about 7 seconds and shut off automatically. I tried again with the same result.

I used store about espresso beans and ground them in my home burr grinder. I feel that the grind was adequate- fine and just a bit grainy. Same grind I use in my home machine that works well.

Pressure looked good on the gauge, so I'm not really sure what to think or do. My first thought was to try a finer grind, but my burr grinder is just two stops from as fine as it will go!

Any advice?

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
Well it sounds like the double shot button isn't programmed correctly. You can easily program it to give the desired volume. Personally I control all extractions manually.

Fresh beans are a must as they give off CO2 for proper extraction. Buy beans within days after being roasted and use them within 2 weeks or so MAX..

Call me when you have time to discuss the mobile venture. Later!

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
Another thing is you simply can't compare what works in your home machine to a commercial machine. Totally different animal...

I know you told me you're getting a commercial grinder for espresso, but what home grinder were you using? Later!

CCafe

Aug 11, 2004
Des Moines, Iowa
Visit site
Also cheaper burr grinders won't cut it either. Most commercial machines won't like a cheap grinder like a Cuisinart Burr grinder. Just won't get it fine enough to do the job. Your Epoca is going to want a nice fine grind, not powdered sugar but when your grinding it, it is just start to clump together in the grinder.

I went out and purchased a Rancilio Silvia for my mother inlaw for mothers day a couple of years back. Her Cuisinart could block up her old home unit on a setting that was about 50 times to coarse for the Silvia. Higher end espresso machines can really be finicky with the grind.

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
Another thing regarding grinders.... most people think fineness is the only concern, but truth is most grinders will grind fine enough to choke pretty much any machine if the burrs are close enough. Particle size consistency is of the highest importance as well. Some fines are needed to help keep the puck intact, but consistent particle size allows the water to flow through properly.

Like I said before, never overlook bean freshness. Later!