Help with a couple issues La Pavoni espresso machine.

Indy

Jan 21, 2017
Visit site
I just purchased a great looking La Pavoni PC-16 Professional Espresso machine.
The prior owner never used it and it shows because it looks brand new on the OUTSIDE.

First time I tried to use it, filled boiler. As it warmed up before getting to the green area water started coming out of the head.
I'm making coffee and never lifted the handle. :???:
Water continued until I shut the machine off as the boiler was getting low.
Second try the flow was reduced but before the gauge made it mid way to green half the boiler was emptied.

HELP, what's wrong as in what parts do I need.
I have the options to send it out for repair, only thing is where. Didn't find any service in the Mid-West. (seller will pay)
Return it, for full refund.
OR figure out what's wrong and replace the parts myself. I'm pretty handy, have the top end of my engine apart to shim the valves so I'm pretty sure I could do it. But like the idea of a good shop going over the unit while the full refund is on the table.

Looking for your wisdom. Internet searches have not pulled up my symptoms, but I'm guessing head seal kit.

DLRuth

Dec 21, 2016
Visit site
I don't have a La Pavobi, but it sounds like simply a seal issue, and should be relatively easy to fix. Hopefully some one who owns one will show up to give a better assessment. It is a nice looking machine and I have heard good things while I was researching lever machines.

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
Never used a Pavoni, but did own a Cremina manual lever for quite awhile and the procedure is quite similar. When filling the boiler, always leave a bit of room at the top for expansion. After it's ON and heating a few mins, bleed false pressure from the steam wand. Just open it a few turns while holding a mug under the wand to catch any runoff. Pretty much any machine (HX) with a sealed system and no vacuum breaker needs to vent excess pressure on initial heat up.

Based on your description the piston seals may need to be replaced. Quite cheap to do I'd imagine as that is a popular lever machine. With my Cremina I would drop the shower screen/piston at least 2-3 times yearly and clean the piston seals and lubricate with DC111, which is a high temp food grade lube. This is necessary to ensure a good seal between the seals/piston/cylinder. Over time you will likely feel more resistance with piston movement, which is an indicator the seals are dirty/dry. This will not only enhance the feel of the pull, but help the seals last a lot longer.

Does the element kick on/off as it should? If for some reason the pressurestat were sticking and keeping it heating it could cause excess pressure to blow by the piston seals I would imagine. Not sure if that machine has any sort of pressure relief boiler cap. My Cremina didn't, but it was an older model, from 1977.

Last edited:

Indy

Jan 21, 2017
Visit site
The pressure never builds up completely because of the weeping from the head.
I'm pretty sure it's the seals, they got old and dried out is my guess.