Help with my latte art please!

steven2992

Mar 23, 2016
Visit site
Hi,

I'm new to this forum and I was wondering if someone would be able to help me with my latte art.

I've recently become interested in perfecting my latte art skills. However, I can't seem to make designs in my coffee. I've watched countless videos on the correct pouring technique but I can't seem to have the milk make designs in the coffee. Here is my equipment:

Nespresso DeLonghi machine
Automatic frother
Stainless steel cup to pour milk

12674336_10207982747000135_185635239_n.jpg12874504_10207982746680127_2140204739_o.jpg12899810_10207982746920133_693215182_n.jpg

My procedure is as follows:

1. Warm 2% milk to 60 degrees celsius (I've tried warming quickly - 5 minutes - and slowly - 30 minutes)
2. Pour a shot of espresso from my machine
3. Froth milk - I froth at the surface for 3 or so seconds to make big bubbles at the surface of the milk and then froth deeper in the milk until the big bubbles disappear (usually 45 to 60 seconds)
4. I pour the milk into the espresso, starting off high up and then coming lower (almost touching the surface of the coffee) until the cup of coffee is full

Here is one of the best coffee's I've been able to make:
12528469_10207982801361494_1061939704_o.jpg

I can't seem to make pretty designs like those seen everywhere on the internet. Here are what I think could be potential problems:

- When I pour the milk into the espresso, the foam seems to stay in the cup and only liquid milk pours into the espresso. Foam only pours into the espresso once almost all the liquid milk is poured into the espresso. Is the milk supposed to be homogeneous or is there supposed to be a layer of foam on top of the milk?
- Many of the videos I've seen use round-bottomed cups. Mine are flat. Does this alter the flow of the milk and change the ease with which one can make designs?

I've been trying for about two months, and this is getting quite frustrating. Any help would be appreciated!

SM

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
- When I pour the milk into the espresso, the foam seems to stay in the cup and only liquid milk pours into the espresso. Foam only pours into the espresso once almost all the liquid milk is poured into the espresso. Is the milk supposed to be homogeneous or is there supposed to be a layer of foam on top of the milk?
- Many of the videos I've seen use round-bottomed cups. Mine are flat. Does this alter the flow of the milk and change the ease with which one can make designs?

You're not producing microfoam if you have that clear of a separation of the foam and the liquid. It should be more homogeneous, as you supposed. I didn't watch Rose's videos, but I find it hard to believe it can be done.

The shape of the cup will change how the latte is poured, but even the perfectly shaped cup can't overcome milk that's the wrong consistency.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
The videos show that it "kinda" can be done. It's right up there with people trying to make espresso with an Aeropress, if you know what I mean.

I was surprised that there could be any type of result with a battery powered milk frother.

It's hard to see the thickness of the foam in the video. It appears to be watery, and the art looks a bit runny. I imagine that the art would be quickly absorbed into the espresso and no longer be recognizable after a few seconds.

I guess it's something that would be fun to play with, but if a person is serious about making latte art, the hand held milk frother isn't the way to do it.

Rose

steven2992

Mar 23, 2016
Visit site
You're not producing microfoam if you have that clear of a separation of the foam and the liquid. It should be more homogeneous, as you supposed. I didn't watch Rose's videos, but I find it hard to believe it can be done.

The shape of the cup will change how the latte is poured, but even the perfectly shaped cup can't overcome milk that's the wrong consistency.

I've since been working on my frothing technique and trying to get a homogeneous milk. Here's what I made this morning. I think it's a decent step in the right direction! I'll keep working at it...

12874544_10208005328284653_812420333_o.jpg