Help with my new espresso machine

desert rose

May 9, 2006
Visit site
Hi all,

I just bought a new machine for espresso and cappuccino, it is Black&Decker, EM1 style. the problem is I dont know how to make the foam or the milk texture. I visited alot of website about how to froth the milk but all my efforts to make the frothed milk didnt succeed, so please if any one can help I will be so thankful.

mrgnomer

Jan 22, 2006
Canada
Visit site
desert rose said:
Hi all,

I just bought a new machine for espresso and cappuccino, it is Black&Decker, EM1 style. the problem is I dont know how to make the foam or the milk texture. I visited alot of website about how to froth the milk but all my efforts to make the frothed milk didnt succeed, so please if any one can help I will be so thankful.

If the Black&Decher, EM1 style has a screw on cap it brews by steam pressure. Getting good froth with a steam machine is a little more difficult than with a pump machine designed to make espresso. The boiler of a pump machine is larger and most generate the pressure needed to create good, micro foam froth. With the smaller boiler of a steam machine the sustained pressure needed for good froth isn't good.

Frothing will be slower, I'd imagine and you'll have to be careful to keep the tip just under the surface and hold it there to introduce the air that stretches the milk. I'd say make sure your boiler is full so you atleast are steaming with the best pressure, froth first, be patient about holding the wand in the sweet spot and very gently follow the sweet spot down as the milk expands then plunge in at 100F to incorporate the froth 'till 150F. Start off with cold milk to increase your frothing time since I would guess that the increased time of exposure to steam with a steam machine is going to expose the milk to heat that might cook it over time.