Help with starting to roast and sell

Geopet

Nov 29, 2017
Illinois
Visit site
I've had a passion for coffee for a while now. I finally decided to follow that passion and start roasting and selling. I bought a ceramic roaster from zenroast and some green coffee beans to practice on. Once I get the hang of it I will be starting to sell.. which is where I need help... What legal stuff will I need to do this? (Food license, business license, etc). I'll be doing it out of my home for the time being until I work up enough money to rent out a space. Any help is greatly appreciated. I'm determined to succeed, but am clueless when it comes to legal stuff. Thank you

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
I have started and erased 3 responses to this thread. I want to be positive and cheer you on...but to be honest if you are doing this as a hobby that is one thing. If you are trying to make a business out of this I am struggling with it. The cost of goods, and labor...hard to make a profit. I could be looking at it wrong and misunderstand what your plan is...maybe you are planning on buying a larger roaster?

Geopet

Nov 29, 2017
Illinois
Visit site
It's just something I've been wanting to do for a long time. I have a full time job right now, but am looking to start a roasting business. It's just a passion that I wanna follow in hopes of one day making a living out of it. My day job will take care of a good majority of the expenses. In fact I've been saving up for this for a while. And as far as the roaster goes, I do plan on getting a bigger one in the future.

Geopet

Nov 29, 2017
Illinois
Visit site
It's starting out as a hobby, but with the hopes of growing into something more than that. I realize it's gonna be a lot of work, but I'm ready for that. I just need info on legal stuff so I can be sure I'm doing it right. I appreciate you trying to be positive and cheer me on.

JoeConiglioArmenia

Nov 10, 2017
NYC
Visit site
If I was you I would just start with family/friends/local markets etc to gauge all your unanswered questions. Roasting questions, green quantity questions, human capital time questions etc etc. Once you have worked out many of your currently unanswered questions you can get into the legality's. Possibly starting an llc etc. At some point depending on your volume you will have to get a cert kitchen and get it inspected etc but that's car down the road. If all you are worried about is liability then you would have to start an entity which is relatively cheap and operate under that entity for the time being.

Good luck with your roasting hobby/small business. There is nothing more gratifying then starting/operating a successful business. FYI no one said its easy!

JoeConiglioArmenia

Nov 10, 2017
NYC
Visit site
Thanks, Joe. And by entity do you mean a name for my business?

You can create a name not legally per sey. When I say entity I am referring to actually incorporating your business or starting an s corp whatever vehicle you decide to chose to "Legalize" your business.

Again if I was you I would roast/bag/sell to people close to me and in my community and see what feedback you have externally and internally from a logistics standpoint before getting tied up in all the legalities. Now again don't forget you can be "sued" per sey but with the relatively small volume and whatnot the chances are highly unlikely.

I am not a lawyer or accountant and this is just my opinion from the few posts I read by you. If you need clarity further I suggest speaking to one or both for yourself.

Again have fun roasting and good luck!