Hey what's up ...

deapee

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
Hey everyone, I'm pretty new to the whole coffee game but wanted to introduce myself...and ask a quick question (or two, or three).

I've never been a coffee drinker, although I remember the aroma throughout the house while growing up from my Mom who always seemed to have a cup of coffee in her hand for breakfast or during gatherings. Probably about 6 months ago I decided to quit energy drinks and switch to coffee with my wife's help, of course. The first few times I tried to brew it myself, I'd end up with grinds down in the pot or just a totally bad (too much? too little?) cup all together. I have no idea what I was doing wrong, but I've pretty much perfected the process now (I give credit to a nice measuring spoon we bought and the brown flat-bottom coffee filters we now use).

Anyway, I really enjoy Maxwell House both Original and Breakfast Blend. I enjoy Sheetz coffee too...but I think I have a taste (or at least a curiosity) to try out the finer things in life, if you will. My mom got me a nice bag of coffee for Christmas that I pretty much devoured in a few weeks, although I can't remember what brand it was.

We (my wife, our son, and myself) recently moved to another state and I had to go to the DMV (about 20 miles away, we are pretty far out in the country but close enough to a main highway that it's not too country if you know what I mean) and I saw some type of coffee specialty place called Black Dog Coffee. I wanted to step up my game and try something a bit more flavorful or "richer" I guess. If I stop in there, what should I look for? I think I'd feel silly just walking in. Should I expect them to have bags of already-ground coffee (fresh) or should I expect them to only have beans that I would have to grind myself?

--

Also, does anyone like a good bit of cream in their coffee? I mean some of the people I know could enjoy a cup of coffee just straight black, but I, however, probably put the equivalent of 8 tablespoons of cream in my coffee (that's per 16-20oz of course, my morning cup is the "bubba" lol). Now Starbucks, however, some of their drinks are just overblown with sugar, that doesn't appeal to me at all. Does that make me an amateur in the coffee society? Put it like this, I can't even go through a drive thru because if I ask for extra cream, it's still not enough cream for my taste. Should I try to taper that back or just keep enjoying it the way I do?

Anyway, thanks for the help -- and the only reason I'm feeling kind of "on my own" here is because my wife is into some "pumpkin spice" blend that I vehemently refuse to even taste.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hello "deapee"

Welcome to the Coffee Forums website.

You probably will get a better response to your questions if you post them separately within the forum instead of asking them in this introduction area. People tend to skim over the introductions, and then the questions get missed or postoned for later.

I'm sure if you walk into the specialty coffee store where you plan to buy coffee, the people there will be very helpful. They will even grind the beans for you if you want them to. Considering that you mentioned that you like Maxwell House coffee and that you put lots of cream in your coffee, you'll probably want to get something that's mild and roasted at a medium level. Take a look at what they have to offer, and ask questions. That's how you learn, and that's how they make sales and repeat customers.

I hope you will post your questions again to the other areas on this forum. That way, you'll have a better chance of getting a response.

Rose

Last edited:

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
Like Rose have said above this should be on different thread....

If add little more to Rose's answer, I think you are adding more cream because of the bitter taste of the coffee you are purchasing.
But I don't think there is anything wrong with people who add milk to their coffee... I don't think there is any wrong way how you drink your coffee as long as you are enjoying it.

Welcome to the board.... ;)

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
CoffeeJunky is absolutely correct. Most of the time people load their coffee with sweeteners and cream because the coffee is, strong, harsh, and bitter. Once you start drinking quality coffee, you'll probably start using less cream.

Regarding the Pumpkin Spice coffee that your wife likes....at the cafe where I currently work, we offer pumpkin spice (brewed) on weekends, and plenty of people come in looking for it. It's usually a seasonal item, and when it's gone, it's gone. Whenever I brew the Pumpkin Spice coffee, I start to crave candied sweet potatoes.

And lots of people ask us to add pumplin spice syrup to their coffee throughout the year. I tasted the syrup, and I think the Pumpkin Spice flavor should be in a cookie, not in my coffee.

And that's a topic for another discussion area.

Rose

deapee

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
Sounds good, thanks for the replies. I'll stop down there and see what they have. Maybe I can find something nice for my wife for v-day...two birds one stone and all.

Nice that you can access this forum on your Android with tapatalk too. I love that app.

Sent using tapatalk.