Hot Coffee at Home??

scottyb159

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
Ok, I am glad to have found this forum. I love coffee and seem somewhat obsessed with buying coffee machines. However, I have never been able to make a truly hot cup of coffee (once I add milk). I know I can warm my milk and this would help, but not good enough. Why is it that when I buy coffee outside I get piping hot coffee, yet when I home brew its warm. I just purchased a bunn with a built in heater so the water stays at 200 degrees for perfect brewing. I keep the hot plate on but still cant get the coffee is piping hot. Please help. Is there any home machine that will make it HOT so that I dont need to microwave.

scottyb159

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
What about drip?

Thank you for the suggestion. Does this mean that ever one that drinks drip coffee doesnt have it hot?

briadea

Jan 10, 2005
Visit site
hot coffee

If you want piping hot coffee you need to check two things.
1. 200 degrees is obviously not hot enough for you.The temp needs to be raised up a few points.

2. The addition of hot milk need not cool it down if the milk is hot enough. Again, a temp higher than 200 degrees for the milk is required.

With these two taken care of, your coffee will be hotter than any you can buy.

DN325Ci

Nov 30, 2005
Visit site
scottyb159 said:
Ok, I am glad to have found this forum. I love coffee and seem somewhat obsessed with buying coffee machines. However, I have never been able to make a truly hot cup of coffee (once I add milk). I know I can warm my milk and this would help, but not good enough. Why is it that when I buy coffee outside I get piping hot coffee, yet when I home brew its warm. I just purchased a bunn with a built in heater so the water stays at 200 degrees for perfect brewing. I keep the hot plate on but still cant get the coffee is piping hot. Please help. Is there any home machine that will make it HOT so that I dont need to microwave.

Completely agree. I don't guzzle a good cup of coffee, and I hate that it is luke-warm in no time. Wish I could find a hot brewer.

Don

LiftOff

Nov 3, 2004
Arizona
Visit site
The optimum temp for brewing coffee is anywhere from 195f-203f, depending on the origin. Sadly most home brewers and (commercial for that matter) just can't reach those temps. I have never been able to understand why manufacturers miss the boat so badly on brew temp.

Here are a couple of things that might help...

preheat the cup or mug with boiling water

use smaller insulated cups

DN325Ci

Nov 30, 2005
Visit site
Is there a reasonable linkage between brewer wattage and brew temps? I know the brew temp is probably dependent on a few factors, but it seems the wattage of the brewer is a key indicator, no?

Don

LiftOff

Nov 3, 2004
Arizona
Visit site
Is there a reasonable linkage between brewer wattage and brew temps?

Yes, I think that's a reasonable assumption dependent on boiler size. Another problem is the majority of home machines have no adjustable thermostat, so you are at the mercy of whatever temp that certain manufacturer decides it wants to give you.

DN325Ci

Nov 30, 2005
Visit site
No, I need a new brewer and I'm just looking for a means to evaluate brewers. Wattage is probably one method to do that. I did purchase a Melitta Fast Brew today for grins, as it plainly advertises 200F brewing and 1450 watts, and it's cheap. It's clearly hotter than my prior brewer, though I don't have a 200F thermometer to tell if it is hitting that number. I searched and found an 2 or 3 year old posting that suggested it did not hit 200F.

Don