How come my coffee has no aroma?? Please help.

Laminarman

Nov 29, 2005
Visit site
I am using filtered (not bottled) water in a Technivorm Moccamaster (thermal carafe). I use Intelligentsia, Boyds, Peets, SBs sometimes, Green Mountain..etc. I always grind fresh in a Maestro Solis Plus, varying the grind to try to improve the flavor. It seems the coarser the grind the better the flavor, but no matter what I do, my coffee never fills the house with that great coffee aroma. Even my wife asked why our coffee never smells good like our old percolator or cheap drip machine. I use paper filters (non bleached) and rinse them before use. I've tried longer extraction times also. Very frustrated, as part of the great part of coffee (and even more so with wine) is that wonderful aroma you get to experience.

cafemakers

Nov 3, 2004
Visit site
My guess is that your old percolator was boiling away the aroma from your drink into the air, thus creating the scent in your house. There are only so many aromatics to go around; I suggest that you keep them in your cup for a better beverage.

Laminarman

Nov 29, 2005
Visit site
I should probably clarify that the coffee really lacks flavor as well. Something is amiss. I've had coffee at restaurants (French Press) that was awesome, but this doesn't even come close.

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
have you checked your temp of water you are brewing with? Try using a press at home....personally that's what I use at home and it is very inexpensive!!

Laminarman

Nov 29, 2005
Visit site
I don't want to buy a French press. Call me stubborn, but for the cost of this machine it should make killer coffee. It brews at around 202 degrees as measured by my thermometer, give or take a degree and where I place it. Will a gold filter make a difference?

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
Hey BT...thanks for the link...I actually have one of those breweres(somewhere in this madness I call my office) I will try and dig it out and try brewing on it next week...will post if I lose aroma...I do not believe that it is an airtight carafe. Your house should fill up with coffee aroma when you grind your coffee...how are you storing your beans? How long do you store your coffee. You said the more coarse you grind your coffee the better the taste...how coarse are you talking...as coarse as if you where grinding for you perculator?

ElPugDiablo

no aroma and lack flavor? If the temp is right, you can check a few more things, 1) roasting date of the coffee, 2)your brewing time, 3) How much coffee are you putting in? I just visited a place that has the Technivorm glass carafe brewers, the coffee brewed from those brewers were amazing.

marco.crazy

Nov 25, 2004
Visit site
no taste coffee

try using illy coffee i've found because of the low roast the taste is sweeter than most also it's also packed in a tin so the natural volitile aroma's end up in the cup not the air!!!!!! it's worth a try :D