How do I make my coffee better?

GoldieMN

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
coffeeloverlisa said:
So Goldie, has being here inspired you to make your coffee better? Have you found a place to buy fresh beans and grind some to make fresh coffee at home?
Lisa

Yes, I am inspired but my mind is going crazy finding all kinds of roasted bean sources. We will need wholesale but haven't zeroed in on which companies to contact for samples. This is going to be a totally new experience for me as all drips I've tasted at home have been from a can bought from WalMart. :( Certainly don't understand this "lemon overtone, berry, choc. flavor at bottom of cup" stuff. What??? Isn't this coffee???? lol
Goldie

GoldieMN

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
coffeeloverlisa said:
My husband Matthew now WEIGHS 45g of coffee per pot. That is how it goes around here now.
Lisa

Does "better" coffee mean less needed to make a pot/cup? How many cups in that pot? I'm a green bean=beginner.
Goldie

C

coffeeloverlisa

Contact for samples? I know of no company that sends samples... The shipping cost alone is a cost killer, never mind the cost of the coffee. Buy the coffee and try it. This is not a Nissan, it is half a pound of coffee and you will love trying it. Would you ask this of a wine or Vodka company?

CB

C

coffeeloverlisa

GoldieMN said:
coffeeloverlisa said:
My husband Matthew now WEIGHS 45g of coffee per pot. That is how it goes around here now.
Lisa

Does "better" coffee mean less needed to make a pot/cup? How many cups in that pot? I'm a green bean=beginner.
Goldie

On the side of your coffee maker's carafe it says 8, 10 etc. That is the number of cups.

GoldieMN

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
coffeeloverlisa said:
Contact for samples? I know of no company that sends samples... The shipping cost alone is a cost killer, never mind the cost of the coffee. Buy the coffee and try it. This is not a Nissan, it is half a pound of coffee and you will love trying it. Would you ask this of a wine or Vodka company?

CB

I would pay for samples. Some companies offer smaller/sample packages. I didn't check how much comes in those packages. Probably is half pound.
Goldie

GoldieMN

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
coffeeloverlisa said:
GoldieMN said:
coffeeloverlisa said:
Lisa

Goldie

On the side of your coffee maker's carafe it says 8, 10 etc. That is the number of cups.

Yes, I know that. Just wondered how many cups your husband is making out of that 45g.
Goldie

C

coffeeloverlisa

A whole pot, 10 cups on the side, I would say 5-6 mugs full.

Cheers,

Lisa

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
45g works out to be around 1.6 oz. Sounds like too much water is being used for only 45g, leading to underextraction... This is where you will tell me your RocketFuel is so fresh and of such high quality that less is needed and still be quite awesome 8)

C

coffeeloverlisa

RocketFuel is so fresh and of such high quality that less is needed and still be quite awesome 8)[/quote said:
RocketFuel is so fresh and of such high quality that less is needed and still be quite awesome 8)

Q-Lock

Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
45g works out to be around 1.6 oz. Sounds like too much water is being used for only 45g, leading to underextraction... This is where you will tell me your RocketFuel is so fresh and of such high quality that less is needed and still be quite awesome 8)

In your opinion, what would the appropriate amount of coffee be for a 10-cup pot?

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
This is what I've learned to do when I make coffee at home (for guests)

I always measure the water and the coffee. I don't go by the cup markings on the pot. Those marking are inaccurate and often deceiving. A cup is often considered to be only 6 ounces. In years past when people used those dainty small cups and saucers, the cup only held around 6 ounces. Now-a-days we have cups and mugs that hold a lot more.

Most"10 cup" carafes only hold about 48 ounces of liquid. It depends on its shape. First, use a standard measuring cup to find out how much liquid your machine's carafe holds.

Then start out by using one level tablespoon (measuring tablespoon - not a soup spoon) of ground coffee for each six (6) ounces of water. So, if you fill the coffee maker with 48 ounces of water, then you should use 8 (eight) level tablespoons of ground coffee. Try it that way, and then adjust the amount of coffee/water to taste. For example, when my son makes his coffee, he measures it "my way" and then he throws in an extra tablespoon of ground coffee, because he likes his coffee stronger.

You need to experiment to see what's right for you.

Rose

Last edited:

kanenwis

Apr 7, 2011
Berkeley, CA
Visit site
I recommend this summary of practices for brewing coffee. You can also find them on my website: funwithcoffee under The Coffee Shop Experience. I can't attach a link to my site because I am a new member.

A Good Cup of Joe

Fresh Beans

Great coffee must start with fresh beans!
I wouldn't recommend using beans over a month old.
Ask your coffee vendor how old your beans are when you buy them. If they don't know then they probably aren't very fresh.
Only put your coffee in the freezer if you are not going to access it on a frequent basis. Opening and closing the bag causes the coffee to lose moisture. Coffee with less moisture loses it's flavor.
Instead, store your coffee in an airtight container for daily use like the one shown in the picture.

Fresh Ground

Fresh ground coffee is like a freshly sliced apple, if you wait too long after grinding it's flavor starts to change.
Ground coffee loses it's flavor quickly. If I grind my coffee and let it sit around for 15 minutes or more before brewing I can taste a change in the flavor.
If you are buying your first grinder almost any grinder will work. The big decision is "burr" vs. "blade" grinders. Check out the Equipment Corner for more information about grinders.

Ratio of Coffee to Water

Ever wonder why your coffee tastes so weak?
Your coffee to water ratio may be off.
I recommend two tablespoons per six ounces of water.

200 Degree Water

Wow! This is incredibly important. Have you ever thought, "why can't I replicate the cup of coffee that my favorite coffee shop makes"? I buy their beans, I bought a grinder, and I think I have a nice coffee maker.
Many of us have tried to brew strong coffee, but it still has a bitter aftertaste. The issues is your coffee maker is brewing at too low of a temperature.
Unfortunately, most drip coffee makers only brew coffee between 170 to 185 degrees. While, your favorite coffee shop is definitely brewing at 200 degrees.
The solution is to find a coffee brewing method in which you can brew at 200 degrees. The cheapest way to do this is to buy a Miletta cone. You boil water, let it cool slightly, put your grounds in the filter, and then pour the hot water through Miletta into your cup or thermos.
For more info about the Miletta cone and other ways to brew at 200 degrees check out our Equipment Corner.

A Good Cup of Joe

Finally, you have it, a Good Cup of Joe!

However, I realize for many of you this road may be difficult to follow first thing in the morning. It can seem like a lot of work to get a Good Cup of Joe. I have three recommendations for you.
First, try the first step or two along the road and see if you like the results. You may decide it is worth the effort.
Second, you might be amazed how quickly you pick of this routine once you learn it.
Finally, there are drip coffee makers that brew at 200 degrees. Unfortunately, they are very expensive, but if you love coffee like me they are worth every penny. Check out the Equipment Corner. for more info about a high quality drip coffee maker.

L

lynnibug

I have read through a ton of responses to this question and not seen anything about the quality of the water being used. It seems that would make a big difference. Bottled water, filtered water, mineral rich water? Anyone care to comment on that aspect of the brew?

latonyarock

Apr 27, 2011
India
Visit site
freshly roasted coffee, pinch of sugar, milk => stir and drink. this is the best possible coffee. ofcourse, you can alter the taste depending upon your requirement.