How do roasters flavor the beans?

Javamom

May 19, 2005
SW Florida
Visit site
Heya,

I have been thinking of roasting as a hobby. Just thinking of course.
I am curious as to what is added to the coffee to flavor the bean. Is it done while roasting or after?

I am going to do a search, but any info would be helpful.

Again I am just playing around with the idea. I would be that person in the backyard with the beans on the grill....small flames....JUST kidding!

BeanGrinder

Aug 11, 2004
North Georgia, USA
Visit site
Flavoring is typically done after the bean has been roasted. A water soluable flavor additive is sprayed or otherwise applied to the roasted, cooled beans. These flavors can be purchased by companies such as Flavor Dynamics, GSB & Associates and Gold Coast among others.

The flavor additives are highly concentrated, so you don't want to get it on your clothes or skin. You can put a half pound of beans in a bowl and add the flavoring and stir like crazy (usually about 1.2 to 2.0% measured - maybe about a 3/4 teaspoon).

Most of these companies do not sell retail, so if you want to play around with it, you might have to purchase small quantities from one of us professional roasters.

cawi

Apr 7, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
Flavorings

We sell coffee bean flavorings. A 4oz container will flavor 8lbs of roasted coffee. You simply add the flavoring to roasted beans, stir to coat and let sit. Then grind and brew. Very simple. Check out our website for our flavorings, or send me a message. We have anything from French Vanilla to Jazzy Java.

BeanGrinder

Aug 11, 2004
North Georgia, USA
Visit site
JavaNights said:
cawi: Who are you getting your flavors from? I've been doing business with Allen Flavors. Looking for a different supplier.

I've worked with flavors and samples from a bunch of different companies. I think my favorite is GSB & Associates: http://www.gsbflavorcreators.com/

The folks there are super nice and easy to work with. You can request samples or send a sample of flavors you are currently using and they can match them. GSB has apparently been a family business for many years.

Next week is the Dixie IFT night and there are a LOT of companies represented. I'll gather materials and report back. GSB is one of the main coordinators for that event every year.

Susanto

May 13, 2006
Visit site
Testing Coffee flavours??? just try to drink Luwak coffee...thats a real taste and flavours of coffee... no comparation :grin: :grin:

equus007

Apr 4, 2006
Austin, Tx
Visit site
flavoring

I used to do a roast using actual nuts(and sweet corn suprisingly). Nuts are really oily and it does a good job of flavoring up the beans. Also good advertising to be able to say its "all natural(can sell nuts afterwards or use them in bakedgoods too). Pecan worked really well but you have to bear in mind that

1. when you add nuts to your bin you have to clean it really well afterwards which is a pain and I always liked having a tempered roaster(let the stuff build up a bit). If you don't the next 12 batches all taste like weaker versions.

2. people with nut allergies can die if they don't know what they are gettting