How do you make $13 a cup coffee?

• Thread starter coffeeloverlisa
  • Start date
C

coffeeloverlisa

Yesterday all over CNN and Facebook there were articles about $15 a cup coffee. I know some coffee retailers have the wondrous $11,500 Clover which can make one cup at a time, with bells and whistles and showtime. Amazing!

But what if you do not have the resources for that? Do you make a small pot of Esmeralda Special and hope you have buyers? Do you whip up a French Press load of Kopi Luwak? Do you even open the bag and keep the beans in stock?

This question, by the way, comes from my husband Matthew, the CEO chartered accountant.

Cheers,

Lisa

John P

Jan 5, 2007
Salt Lake City
Visit site
"Very carefully."

We have been doing a Limited Engagement offering this week of the Panama Gesha Hacienda Esmeralda (Lot ES-2) on the siphon for $12.95/cup (7 oz.).
http://twitpic.com/1coyop AND http://bit.ly/a2PjgY

Had I had access to Lot ES-1 it would have been $17 for and last year's top lot would easily go for $22.00.

I think to honestly command this pricing you need to roast yourself and actually be skilled in the brewing method whether it's Press, siphon, Melitta, Chemex, etc. You would only use a controlled manual method on this caliber of coffee. The thing to be cognizant of is, just because someone is offering the coffee doesn't mean they have the skill to roast or brew it properly... but when it all comes together, it's a mind-blowing experience.

We have enough to offer 1 more 1/2 pound of roasted for $41.95 and we will nearly go through everything for the siphon by Saturday.

C

coffeeloverlisa

Great answer. Siphon is a good solution. And of course, just because you have golden goose, does not mean you know how to cook it.

John P

Jan 5, 2007
Salt Lake City
Visit site
Siphon is a good solution. And of course, just because you have golden goose, does not mean you know how to cook it.

Especially with siphon. I've seen a lot of wannabes crop up and having a siphon brewer, much like having an espresso machine, doesn't mean good coffee is ahead. Sad. But true.