How do you make Espresso

insaneliltroll

Jun 27, 2007
Visit site
I was just wondering since im only 14 and I dont know a lot about coffee but I was just wanted to know what is the best and cheapest way to make espresso? I am not looking to spend more than 50 dollars on a machine manual or automatic machine...
Thank You
DR

CafeBlue

Dec 8, 2006
Toronto
Visit site
Moka brewer

Hi troll;
Your question leads to several mutually exclusive concepts (such as best AND cheapest).

> The Best way to make espresso requires a commercial quality espresso machine, fresh roasted coffee, a suitable grinder capable of micro-small fine/coarse adjustment range, appropriate tamper, timer that measures 1 second increments, a measuring cup or graduated shot glass, some training (or at least good written instructions), skills practice.

> The cheapest way to make espresso will not yield the best quality espresso, will not yield an espresso coffee that even resembles espresso properely prepared.

> Any espresso maker less than $50 (or less than $100 for that matter) can not brew espresso by definition. The grinder will cost more than that.

> A useful model of home/light commercial use espresso brewer must have a means to provide 9 bars of water pressure to the brewing chamber (portafilter). This is necessary because esPRESSo is brewed by forcing PRESSurized hot water through the ground coffee. The pressure can be provided by an electric pump driving water into the boiler, or by a hand levered piston driving hot water through the coffee portafilter.
If you wish to make cappuccino, caffe latte and other steam heated beverages, the machine also needs a system that includes two thermostats or even dual boilers. The dual temperatures are necessary because coffee is ideally brewed at 200 to 205 degrees Fahrenheit (just below boiling temperature) and the steam required to heat and foam milk for cappuccino, etc is only generated by much higher (above boiling water 212 degrees) temperatures which would create a poor tasting coffee brew.

> Try doubling the quantity of ground coffee you add to your french press, then try brewing with half the water as well. That means first step 4 level tablespoons coffee per cup (standard recipe is 2 tablespoons per cup and a coffee cup is 6 ounces, not 8 ounces), then step two adjust to brew with less water. This extra-strong coffee may yield a suitably strong beverage, although not an espresso.

> Try brewing coffee in a Moka pot. Some people call this type of coffee pot a stove-top espresso pot, but it does not brew a true espresso. You can get an inexpensive aluminum moka pot for less than $20 and a nicer stainless steel pot for under $100. It brews with steam pressure driven water and yields a somewhat harsher tasting beverage than a well prepared espresso, but it might be all you hope for in your price range.

insaneliltroll

Jun 27, 2007
Visit site
Well I was looking and I will probobly buy an inexpensive pump machine. I was recomended Delongi (Spelling wrong?) to be a good machine for a low price. What are some good semi-inexpensive brands?

insaneliltroll

Jun 27, 2007
Visit site
Well I went for it and bought a $100 flama machine it makes a great cup of espresso and I cannot taste the difference between the stuff i get at the local coffe shop and mine.

CafeBlue

Dec 8, 2006
Toronto
Visit site
Well that is an indication that your local shop is not brewing the best espresso possible with the equipment they have. :shock: :twisted:

More power to you! Try a few different espresso blends/roasts to find out if you can get an even better result. A little practice and you might be ready to shoot for the World Barista Championships.

Have fun brewing and enjoying espresso. :grin:

Kymm

Aug 14, 2007
Visit site
Espresso maker

[quote:cd6bd38e90=\"insaneliltroll\"]Well I was looking and I will probobly buy an inexpensive pump machine. I was recomended Delongi (Spelling wrong?) to be a good machine for a low price. What are some good semi-inexpensive brands?[/quote:cd6bd38e90]

Buy a NON-Electric one. One for the stove. I just bought Bialetti''s Milk and Coffee one and it''s great.

http://www.bialettishop.com/?gclid=COuF ... IgodrnkBLQ :) :)

cindy

Feb 8, 2005
South Africa
Visit site
as CafeBlue said....the moka pot would be a good investment for you.

remember...youre still very young and chances are that you would probably start experimenting with different beans. also, if you dont want to spend money on a grinder, chances are that you wont realy get to taste the coffee in its full potential. :lol:
if youre really planning on getting into the whole coffee thing like most of us geeks who post our little bits of caffienated poetry, your family would probably see youve got a bit of a passion for it....sooooo its going to make it so much easier for the rest of your clan to buy you your next birthday prezzie.........can you say "daddy id like one of those for my birthday?" :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: