How does a person go about selling a coffee business?

Orange Roaster

Jun 18, 2006
Orange VA
Visit site
Any one that could help with some ideas how to sell a coffee business it could be a great help to me.

It is both a wholesale and retail operation.

Things like: What to ask for it , how to market it and how to transact the deal.

equus007

Apr 4, 2006
Austin, Tx
Visit site
advise

Best advise..hire a professional. This is big money and you only do it once. Usually for an established business you ask for a percentage(I believe its 150%)of your anual gross plus facilities and equipment. You sill also want a good CPA to do your taxes at the end of the year.

Orange Roaster

Jun 18, 2006
Orange VA
Visit site
It seems like it really is complicated being a retail outlet and a roaster selling to wholesale customers as well. Can you tell me where I may find someone that would be an expert and How would I know that they are?

Thanks

al

cafemakers

Nov 3, 2004
Visit site
Orange Roaster said:
It seems like it really is complicated being a retail outlet and a roaster selling to wholesale customers as well. Can you tell me where I may find someone that would be an expert and How would I know that they are?

I'm a little confused here: are you still trying to sell the business or are you looking for someone to help you run it?

Andrew

Coffee Guy

Oct 19, 2003
Seattle,Washington USA
Visit site
My guess would be he's trying to sell the business...If that is the case, I would suggest that you search out a business broker. They can usually help you get top dollar (if they understand your business) especially if there is a good commission involved. But give that a shot :grin:

Coffee Guy

Oct 19, 2003
Seattle,Washington USA
Visit site
No problem...I guess it just depends on how fast you want to sell. Sometimes you might have more bites when you get a broker involved. Just make sure your asking price is reasonable and be sure to find out what kind of percentage the broker is looking for if they sell for you. Then you can adjust you asking price around that. :grin:

ASMarroncito

Sep 10, 2006
Visit site
Selling a Coffee Business

I almost purchased one here in Austin, Texas, and can tell You the steps that will be helpful to You:

1. Get a Business Broker: they specialize in "silent" advertising of your shop. You don't want your customers to know that You're selling the shop, so silent advertising will do this.

2. You can purchase a valuations report from companies that do this. It'll cost You $300. You can give them the range of revenues You're interested in and they will produce a report of all transactions (Coffee, Bakery, etc.) that have been done, say in the last 5 years. The transaction description will help You compare your shop (what it nets, asset age, gross, etc.) with those in the report, which then helps You value your own business.

3. Advertise yourself in a Coffee Forum or magazine, without disclosing exact location/name until You get a Non Disclosure Agreement in place.

I'm looking to purchase a well kept pre-owned Coffee Roaster (10-20 lbs). Have any leads You can pass my way?

Best luck.

ASMarroncito.