How important is location?

mjs

Jan 5, 2015
Pittsburgh
Visit site
In another thread, I mentioned that I'm looking to start a roasting business in about 18 months. I know that I want to find an appropriately zoned spot to rent and roast out of, instead of taking the roast out of my garage route. Eventually, I'd like to grow my business into a coffee shop, but initially, I plan to focus on selling the beans instead of the drinks.

In your experience, how important is the location of a roasting business? I live in the suburbs about 20 minutes outside of the city. If I pursue opening a shop at some point, I imagine that I would go for a more urban location for foot traffic and other reasons. If I'm just roasting, should I just go where the rent is best, or should I try to start out in one of the city neighborhoods and grow from there, with the restaurants and consumers that I'm targeting right around the corner?

Matt

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
Matt,

I think roasting location can be anywhere but if you are not planing on server the drinks, you could start somewhere cheaper. I would suggest talk to Eldub. He has gone through what you are trying to do and he is doing pretty well last time I checked with him. His interest is roasting of the beans which is pretty close to what you are looking to do but now I believe he is serving the drinks out of his roasting location.

He is great guy and great roaster. He will be great help.

Good Luck