How many beans

nutastr

Aug 4, 2007
Visit site
I have finally decided to try making coffee from fresh ground beans, and am curious as to what the \"rule of thumb\" is concerning approximately how many beans ( tsp,tbsp,etc) it takes to make enough medium ground coffee per 6 oz cup. I have found volumes about coffee beans but not this. I realize that this will only be a starting point, but all beginners need one.

John P

Jan 5, 2007
Salt Lake City
Visit site
Approx 1 rounded (ground) tablespoon per 4-6 ounce cup.
I usually measure about two tablespoon of whole bean for about an eight ounce cup. After that, just tweak it to your taste. Also toy with the grind too, it will make a difference in the cup as well.

Happy coffee-ing!

CafeBlue

Dec 8, 2006
Toronto
Visit site
The industry standard for high quality coffee is 2 level tablespoons of ground coffee per cup (6 fluid ounce) of brewed coffee.

If you actually research different industry groups and read different manufacturers' recommendations you will find a variety of "standards" and also recommendations to "adjust the ratio to taste". I use and recommend the 2 tablespoon standard. The grind coarseness is just as important for proper extraction and flavor. Many people use too little coffee at too fine a grind setting. Many users of poorer quality coffees (especially those with robusta content) use smaller ratios of coffee to water, because the thinner brew is more palatable than the full strength brew of such inferior beans would yield.

coffeeroastersclub6

Nov 30, 2006
Connecticut
Visit site
nutastr said:
I have finally decided to try making coffee from fresh ground beans, and am curious as to what the "rule of thumb" is concerning approximately how many beans ( tsp,tbsp,etc) it takes to make enough medium ground coffee per 6 oz cup. I have found volumes about coffee beans but not this. I realize that this will only be a starting point, but all beginners need one.

I use 2 tablespoons of beans to 8 oz. of water, if that helps.

Len
CoffeeRoastersClub.com