How many espressos does a 1lb bag of coffee beans make?

wmorlang

Nov 25, 2003
Visit site
I am new to this and I was curious is to how many cups of espresso a 1lb bag of coffee beans makes. I know there is no one exact number, but what is the average. I really would love to read your responses.

Thank You,

William Morlang

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
7 grams of ground coffee makes one shot of espresso...a shot is anywhere from 1 oz to 1.75 oz....oh I know this sounds dumb but people have asked this before...Yes 7 grams of ground coffee is the same as 7 grams of whole bean coffee :roll:
does this help?

chris94703

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
1000 grams = 1 kilo = 2.2046pounds

453.6 grams in 1 pound
7 grams in one shot, 14 grams per double shot
about 64 single shots per pound, but we always shoot doubles
so about 32 double shots per a pound of coffee beans

Espresso

Hello William, here is the SCAA definition of espresso- : Espresso is a 30-45ml (1.5 ounces) beverage that is prepared from 7-9 grams of coffee through which clean water of 192° - 198°F (88° -92° C) has been forced at 9-10 atmospheres of pressure, where the grind of the coffee has made the brewing "flow" time approximately 20-25 seconds. While brewing, the flow of Espresso will appear to have the viscosity of warm honey and the resulting beverage will exhibit a thick dark golden red cream-foam ("crema"). Espresso is usually prepared specifically for, and immediately served to its intended consumer.

I think I read somewhere, although I forget where, there are 42 average sized roasted beans ground to make one cup of standard espresso!

Cheers
Alun Evans

Espresso

hehehe.....yeah, good point! Just my cut and paste from the SCAA handbook on espresso. I guess if you are following in one of their barista competitions at the convention you would be judged on this. I know if these rules were applied to a competition in my market, there would be mass disqualifications

Alun

jez

Jan 26, 2004
Brooklyn Center, MN
Visit site
what's the secret to that goood shot of espresso?

Hi ever-yone. I recently purchased a Rancilo S-24 espresso machine and I used some espresso blend from Caribou coffee to experiment. I keep getting a bitter espresso with semi decent crema. I tried pulling a ristretto at 17-19 seconds and a regular shot at 18-23 seconds both from a double shot portafilter. I have GOT to get this stuff right. Does anyone recommend a specific coffee co. to buy from and/or a specific blend? Does anyone own the Rancilo S-24 as well? I could use some serious tips.
thanks.

Gulliver

Mar 14, 2004
Buffalo. NY
Visit site
Jez,

I was making some bad stuff myself and ended up buying good old Starbucks brand espresso. I knew I liked it, and it ended up being the key to the flavor I was after. Buy the bean you like when you're out, and you may be happy - whatever the brand.

Also time is only a variable in the final product. And at that only a small one, not easily changed or modified.. The ONLY way to tell if variables are in balance is to TASTE the final product. Pour a double into a small cup e.g. 4oz, mix some 1/2&1/2; taste for bitterness, ect... if that's good you’re good to go. Age of beans, grind, water temp, pressure, TIMING are all variables. As a FDA auditor I expected production to be validated for consistency and at times the only way to do that is constant or random QA (quality assurance) tests. See also it's my belief that a large roaster really doesn't have control over storage conditions, post release. Disclaimer: I roast, and have a espresso stand, that lead me to my OPINIONS.