How many tablespoons per 6 ozs water

briadea

Jan 10, 2005
Visit site
I hope this is not a duplication. I recently posed the question: How many tablespoons of coffee per 6 ozs water is the correct proportion? I have seen two different answers. some saying one is sufficent amd some saying two. I never saw my question on this forum so I am repeating it.

What is the consensus among the coffee lovers?

Jeffo

Aug 21, 2004
Visit site
What's written below is pretty much how I brew and like my coffee and seems to be fairly popular, give or take, among coffee lovers.
--------------------------------
http://coffeefaq.com/coffaq1.htm

Just how much ground coffee do I need for x amount of coffee?

a. Whatever seems right to you.
b. It may change slightly from coffee to coffee and according to freshness and varietal.
c. What the Specialty Coffee Association of America (SCAA) has to say:
A cup is defined as 6 ounces of water before brewing. This will produce 5.33 ounces of brewed coffee. Or 125 ml & 110 ml for Euro style coffee makers
The SCAA defines 10 grams or .36 oz per cup as the proper measure for brewed coffee if using the American standards. If using Euro standards the measure is 7 grams per 125 ml.
To further confuse things I will add a few more measures:
3.75 oz per 1/2 gallon
55 grams per liter
2.25 gallons per 1 lb.
If you want to know more check the SCAA's web page at www.scaa.com.
d. The easy answer for most home coffee brewing is 2 Tbs. per 6 oz of water. A standard coffee measure should be 2 Tbs. Be warned some coffee measures deviate from the 2 Tbs. Standard

JavaQueen

Oct 18, 2004
NY
Visit site
2 tbsp is fairly well the standard. Some coffees I like a 1.5 tbs. I think it is a personal preference at that point.
You just don't want too little coffee, as it will make the brew bitter, but there is some play area for taste.

Bitter is NO result from " stonger" coffee. it's for the most part oxidation, I alway get " what ireally liked about your coffe is that there is no bitter coffee bitterness or lingering coffee. I always tell them that it's because I roast to have fresh coffee always.

Shadow4173

Feb 12, 2005
Massachusetts
Visit site
My personal preference is 1 tablespoon to each line on the pot. So a 12 cup pot would be 6 tablespoons of ground coffee. Once in awhile I'll actually add a 7th "scoop" of grounds, especially on those days where I need an extra caffeine kick.