how much milk does your shop use monthly?

spark

Jul 22, 2006
North Carolina
Visit site
I'm writting my business plan and figuring my menu costs. I have calculated milk quantity based on my average sells of milk based drinks, but what about whipped cream (made fresh) and cream for coffee? These are harder to figure since they vary from drink type to drink type and person to person.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Neil

cafemakers

Nov 3, 2004
Visit site
spark said:
So many people have looked at the post, yet nobody wants to provide this info.

This is not an issue of readers "not wanting to reply," but rather, the recognition that such information is irrelevant. There is no way that one shop's milk usage can be directly applied to your business plan with any real meaning.

Ingredient consumption can be estimated based on a percentage of your gross sales - a "cost of goods sold" which may be calculated based on sales projections, product mix, recipe/drink size and emphasis on specific menu items.

kc1

Aug 26, 2006
Visit site
Don't get bogged down in your BP. Work out a simple blended "food" cost margin and apply this to your overhead base to work out your breakeven level of sales. That is all you need to know. Everything changes as soon as you open your doors in any case. :)

woc

Oct 9, 2006
Iowa
Visit site
Bulk Milk Dispenser?

Since you are using so much milk, do you or why don't you use a bulk milk dispenser that hold 3 or 5 gal bags of milk. Save on storage space and having to worry about what to do with all the empty gallon jugs. Plus, I would think that buying, at least, the most used type of milk (i.e. Whole) this way could save money.

Any thoughts?

dant

Feb 13, 2006
Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
I was intrigued with the suggestion to purchase the larger bags of milk rather than the one gallon jugs. So I called the dairy that supplies us with milk to inquire. Turns out that the per gallon price for the bags is MORE than by the gallon jug. Go figure.

-Dan