How much Milk

norboywa

Oct 2, 2004
Perth
Visit site
Hello

We are looking at starting up a cafe, and are at the stage of doing costings etc.

Does any one have any idea of how to calculate how much milk gets used on average in a cafe.

We will do almost exclusivly takeaway and will offer 8oz 12oz and 16oz cups.

Any help on this would be appreciated

Many Thanks

TCS

Nov 1, 2004
Kankakee, IL 60901
Visit site
We opened a store front location (in a small city) in February and only used about 1 gallon of milk a day. We kept 4 gallons of milk on hand at the time. 9 months later, we are now up to 6 gallons a day. We have to buy milk every day.
It all depends on the size city you are in, your location, how fast customers will find out about you, and how often they will frequent your establishment.

FullOfBeans

Nov 11, 2004
Whiterock BC, Canada
Visit site
It's hard to know how much milk you will go through until you are actually up and running. On weekdays I go through roughly 8 to 10 gallons of skim, 6 to 8 gallons of whole and 6 or so cartons of cream...More on the weekends. It depends on what your customers are drinking, the weather ect.

susansaddiction

Jun 29, 2004
Visit site
hello norboywa

I was an exchange student (many moons ago) in Perth - whsanat an awesome city! I lived in Kelmscott.
Hope you have a great adventure with your coffee shop. I opened my drive thru about 6 weeks ago and love it!! I use about 3-5 gallons per day, but have used as many as 6-8 - and we're just starting out...
Best of luck!
Susan in South Dakota :)

jpscoffee

Nov 3, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
In our espresso bar we use about 200 gallons of whole milk a week, plus another 40 or so of skim. We also use about 5-6 cases of whipping cream and 3-4 of half-n-half.

In calculating milk usage remember that milk expands as it gets hot. Our 12 ounce latte contains one ounce of espresso and probably about 8 ounces of cold milk (expands to about 11 ounces including a little foam). Our 12 ounce cappuccino has one ounce of espresso and about 4-6 ounces of cold milk (expands to about 11 ounces heated milk and foam).

You may want to look at 12, 16, and 20 ounce drinks.
Just a thought.
Ciao