How much tea do you coffee shops sell?

java3

May 5, 2005
Visit site
I am at the very beginning of my research of starting a coffee shop, and am wondering how much tea is typically sold in your shops? Is it worth carrying looseleaf teas etc.? I had read that approx. 70% of sales were espresso based drinks, and that doesn't seem to leave much room for tea.
Thanks to everyone for this site. It is great information....

ElPugDiablo

Loose leaf teas is about 12% of my total beverage sales. For me, tea is by far the most profitable item. You do need to have dedicated area and equipment for loose leaf teas, you also need to have good tea knowledge to educate your customers.

brownd

May 12, 2005
Steamy Hilo, Hawai'i
Visit site
A great tea selection can be a big attraction if you have the right customer base. Trident coffeeshop & bookstore in Boulder, CO has a really good tea selection, including teas priced way up over $100 per pound. They had weird and wonderful stuff I could only get on the internet. I used to go there to try out all sorts of new teas that I couldn't afford to buy otherwise. I bought more tea there than espresso, because their selection allowed so much exploration. Beware though, brewing good tea is an art - you can't just dump hot water in a cheap pot and throw in a bag of leaves. Make it right, so people will appreciate what you're offering.