How to let beans sit???

crashbowman

Jul 27, 2007
Visit site
I am about to start roasing and will probably start with a Wirley Pop or Poppery or both. My main question is how do you let the beans sit before roasting. I know they need to sit for 12 hours to 2 days depending on different factors, but how do they need to sit. Open air? Airtight container? Other? Any info would be great.

Thanks,
John

Davec

Oct 18, 2006
Old England (UK)
Visit site
I use very small chairs.........

Seriously though, not sure I understand your question. I Store my beans in (jute bags for large quantitites) polyester/cotton pillowcases for small quantities, nice and breathable. When I want to roast, I just pop em in the roaster.

The beans themselves are not unhappy at this treatment, they don't need a last meal, or time to make peace with the coffee gods. I think they do get angry at around 12 minutes though when they pop like mad :-D

After roasting though, I do like to let them rest in an airtight container, or better still a container with a one way valve, like on the foil coffee pouches. Most roasts are not so good until 3 or even 5 days after roasting.

crashbowman

Jul 27, 2007
Visit site
My fault, the question I meant to ask was how to store the beans (let them sit) before brewing, not roasting. From things I have read other places it is looking like you still put them in an airtight container, you just wait to brew them. Sorry for the confusion.

John