How to take apart & Clean Burr Grinders ?

Oct 27, 2010
Visit site
Yes and Thank you for any help on this Topic.

We are using Bunn G-9, and MHG-SST Dual, Burr Grinders.

What is the Best method to take apart and clean this kind of Grinder,
as we do not want to Damage it, or do something in an improper manner.
We could turn to a printed material for this, but i am sure that the Voice of
Experience here is by far the best tool.

Or is their a standard process for all large Grinders.

Thanks, Rick.

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
Even though most grinders appear similar in construction I still highly recommend you find a schematic diagram of your grinders to help in deconstructing, at least for the first few times you do it. If you're mechanically inclined enough, just take a good look and tear into it. Place parts in order in which they are removed and even take some pics if needed.

Being naturally mechanically inclined pays dividends to be able to look at something then know how to proceed without too much caution. That is one strength I've had since being able to hold a screwdriver.

Learning the ins and outs of your equipment is important in case you have mechanical issues, and you certainly will in time. Study diagrams of parts, electrical, etc. so you minimize paying somebody for their time/help. Later!

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
The only areas in contact with coffee will be the hopper, burrs and grinding chamber. There may be some sort of chute on your grinders (not familiar with them) where ground coffee could be retained...

How often is up to you. I'm a firm believer in C.L.E.A.N. and strip all grinders before using a new batch of beans, which in our case is about every 2 weeks. Later!

Oct 27, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the insight on these units !

We had herd about seal problems on Espresso units,
and alike, so we did not know if we could expect these
problems on Large Grinders, as we have yet to have the need to
do so, or even which areas to be diligent with.

But we will have to get our Feet wet, if we are expecting
to provide good service in this, or any other New venture.

Our Best wishes,
Rick H.