I found a great new coffee company online!!!

tzulin

Apr 12, 2004
Visit site
I have found an exciting and new company out of California that roasts your orders individually and ships them quickly for freshness! The coffee is all 100% fair trade (no fair trade logo because the logo only means at least 2% fair traded). This premium product is available single bean, shade grown, etc, and it all comes from coffee farms around the world that have a fair trade agreement with the company, called CoffeeFair. I have only tried their 5/4 blend, but that alone is enough for me to be a customer for life. There is no fee, only the coffee itself and shipping, plus you get the opportunity to sell the coffee online and spread the word like I'm doing (membership is available either free or upgraded). The website has more details. You won't regret having this wonderful coffee at home to prepare each morning (and afternoon...and night...). Here is the link, it's risk free...go ahead and browse their products! Lots of tea, too!

http://www.coffeefair.com/

tzulin, vermont

Little Dragon

Jul 23, 2004
Visit site
what is Fair Trade?

"so how does one know it is fair trade?"

How do you know that something is fair trade when it has a logo?
The fair trade industry has on one watching over them. It depends on honesty of the comapny saying they are fair trade. Coffeefair IS fair trade. Visit my website and get to know the people we are working with. Keep coming back as more information is added about the people and families that we are working with.
I'd like to communicate with you.
Diane
http://tradefairly.coffeefair.com

Coffee Guy

Oct 19, 2003
Seattle,Washington USA
Visit site
And now a word from our sponsors :evil: Oh I'm sorry I thought this was a commercial :twisted: Sorry I just had to chime in. Personally I think there are a lot of middle men in the indusrty. If you can prove that the farm you are buying from is fair trade, o.k. But I think people read too much into this. But to each his own I guess 8)

ralphshade

Jul 28, 2004
Madison, WI
Visit site
Coffee Guy said:
And now a word from our sponsors :evil: Oh I'm sorry I thought this was a commercial :twisted: Sorry I just had to chime in. Personally I think there are a lot of middle men in the indusrty. If you can prove that the farm you are buying from is fair trade, o.k. But I think people read too much into this. But to each his own I guess 8)

You are right, there are lot of middle men. The Fair Trade certification means something because it is a third party, not for profit organization making the certification. The most common organization in the US is Transfair USA. It in turn is overseen by a global watchdog organization. I urge you to visit transfairusa.org and see what Fair Trade is all about. No, they are not the only organization doing certification. Yes, they have a specific agenda. To me the important thing is the guarantee that the growers of coffee in the third world countries that most of it comes from are paid a decent wage for their labors. Certification is a way to ensure it.

Little Dragon

Jul 23, 2004
Visit site
Fair trade

I was interested in your question because this is the kind of thing that fair trade is all about wages and care for the farm workers who grow the coffee. Well, actually, it is about much more then that. But I am not really sure what administrated costs of who that you are speaking about so I thought I'd write and get clarification.
Would you mind restating your question with details, who is 'them' and what goes to administrative costs. Are we talking about the farmers? Or the people who buy coffee from the farmers? Or how the coffee is sold here in the US?
Thanks
Diane

I recommend that you look into what "fair trade" is all about.

A lot of misconceptions on what "fair trade" is out in the world.
After you learn about what the program is, you may not be so
Inclined to think the logo you purchase is so great.

ralphshade

Jul 28, 2004
Madison, WI
Visit site
espressolane said:
I recommend that you look into what "fair trade" is all about.

A lot of misconceptions on what "fair trade" is out in the world.
After you learn about what the program is, you may not be so
Inclined to think the logo you purchase is so great.

Since I am a roaster and buyer of fair trade coffees I have a fairly good idea of what fair trade is about. In its basic form, it guarantees a minimum price per pound is paid to the grower. In answer to Topher, the administrative costs are paid by people like me who who pay a fee per pound to the certification agency for the right to use their logo. There are, as I have stated previously, different agencies that do the certification. Transfair happens to require that the growers or producers operate in a co-op. Others do not.

If you have thoughts about a specific "program" that would make YOU inclined to think that it is not so great I would be very interested in hearing them.

Coffee Guy

Oct 19, 2003
Seattle,Washington USA
Visit site
Espressolane:

I appreciate your thoughts. As I browse a number of forums, this one included I find that most will not state what is truely on their minds. I must say though, it is very refreshing when someone actually speaks their mind as you have done so here. I take my hat off to your comments. :) I'm always asked by many regarding "Fair Trade" etc. and when I express my views to them, most are turned off by my opinion, and I may never here from them again. I'm always quick to let them know that my opinions are my opinions and if they want someone to agree with their opinions, then they should seek out those that agree with them. I must say that I agree with you in this thread...Good job! :twisted:

ralphshade

Jul 28, 2004
Madison, WI
Visit site
RE: No reply.

Kind of presumptuous to say that there was no reply after such a short period of time, don't ya think?

Actually, I was trying to formulate a well-thought out response to what I can only describe as a bit of a rant. Here goes;

"TransfairUSA does not certify any producers. They are one of the US auditors for FLO.
The fees and royalties paid to transfair are for the auditing functions for chain of custody. Transfair pays a portion of the proceeds to FLO for its license, as do all others who use the label. Transfair is an information and data collection processor and redistributors.
They ride the coattails of other organizations. "

I don't think you can say that TransfairUSA rides the coattails of other organizations, since as you state, the are an auditor for FLO. In fact they are the authorized agent for FLO in the US. They serve the function that they have been hired for in the US.

"No individual farms are certified, Only cooperatives or groups are eligible for certification.
The term “farmersâ€

Re: RE: No reply.

ralphshade said:
Actually, I was trying to formulate a well-thought out response to what I can only describe as a bit of a rant. Here goes;

I am not sure why you would call my reply a rant, you asked for my opinion and thoughts. I replied with facts and opinions.

"TransfairUSA does not certify any producers. They are one of the US auditors for FLO.
The fees and royalties paid to transfair are for the auditing functions for chain of custody. Transfair pays a portion of the proceeds to FLO for its license, as do all others who use the label. Transfair is an information and data collection processor and redistributors.
They ride the coattails of other organizations. "

I don't think you can say that TransfairUSA rides the coattails of other organizations, since as you state, the are an auditor for FLO. In fact they are the authorized agent for FLO in the US. They serve the function that they have been hired for in the US.

Yes, I can say that FTO and TransfairUSA ride the coattails of other organizations. The FTO, and by that TransfairUSA have taken up activities in areas that have been long assisted by USAID, OCIA, Smithsonian, Rain forest alliance and a host of others. These groups have been working in these regions longer than FTO, and doing good work to help the people. They have set a number of things in motion, that FTO and others are getting the benefit from. Talk to these groups, you might just be surprised at what they have to say.

“They serve the function that they have been hired for in the US.â€