i gotta quit the coffee!!

matticus

May 6, 2012
Visit site
hey there, this is my first post, i was reading about coffee addiction and something somewhere mentioned that u should write down how much u drank coffee and how it effects you, so i decided to write it down on notepad, i developed abit of a story from it and discovered this forum, so thought i'd come and seek solitude in fellow coffee addicts!!

im a 29 year old male and im addicted to coffee, hardcore.. i really feel like i cant function without it, i need it to wake up with it, i probably drink 3 cups within the first hour of drinking, i always put in at least 2 heavily heaped spoon fulls in my cup, sometimes in the morning when u get that jet lagged feeling, its 4 big heaps!!! im at that point where i cant sleep properly at night, i drink a minimum of 15 cups a day, possibly 20, seriously i'd say even more on some days, no joke. ive been like this constantly for the past 5-6 years i'd say, a coffee junkie!! before that i'd drink maybe 2-3 and drink juice and tea and herbal tea aswell.

when i used to drive to and from work, i'd make sure i'll have a beaker type flask full of coffee to drive with... i drink cups of coffee one after another constantly, from the minute i wake up to the moment i finally fall asleep. sometimes at night when i cant sleep, i'll keep on making cup after cup, sometimes i make a cup of coffee and make a big flask too so i can drink 3 cups without faffing around filling up the kettle and waiting to make a drink. waiting for the kettle to boil actually gets me mad as its taking precious coffee drinking time away from me.

its affecting my concentration and making me agitated, sometimes i cant sit still, sometimes i buzz my head off, kind a like that tweak kid on south park lmfao, but i don't see the underpant gnomes!! (not yet anyway) if i dont have one for a short while, i get depressed... i know its due to the lack of sleep, but my caffeine intake is the cause of my lack of sleep.

when i go out and meet the mrs i feel lethargic and irritated and sometimes have a mardy at her over nothing, irritable, she's been absolutely fantastic since she came into my life, as i was on bail not knowing if i could have been sent away when we got together, she is my rock, truely sensational and one of those women who you could instantly know is a keeper. we got engaged after two weeks because she was a hand to my glove and i am the applicator to her mascra (lol) it was an instant connection, so much in common, the same dreams, the same interest's, the same ideal holidays and the same morals and traditions, and trust me, we are the perfect match, i mention this as its because of how im getting with my caffiene intake that is affecting how i can be with her. its because of her that i acknowledge my coffee intake is getting out of control.

lately i been drinking coffee like a mad man, pounding it into me like alcoholic downs a bottle of liquor, but i try and play it down, she doesnt realise why i get so irrated and agitated and get down like i do or why i let it happen. when i have to go without that beautiful brown liquid, i get down and depressed alot which is not like my usual self, im normally an upbeat, laidback, never take life too serious type of guy and when shit happens i end up turning into a whining kid cuz im down so much.

i know that my moods and everything i have described is down to my caffiene intake as towards the start of this year i drank herbal tea and cut out the coffee for around 6 weeks, after the first week was out of the way, i felt so alive, so peaceful, able to get a good sleep. waking up with a cheshire cat style grin on my face, but for some reason i ended up hitting the coffee harder than before. i missed the taste, i did try caffeine free coffee a few times, but thats like buying fireworks on november 5th, setting them alight and watching them just burn because there's no gunpowder in them.

not too long ago my mrs went to stay at her sisters to look after her house whilst she and her fella went away for the week, i drank a mega amount of coffee all day untill i was ready to travel to her sisters house, and i just ended up feeling rough, tired and irratable, i had no coffee when i was there that first night and i upset my mrs over nothing really.... afterwards i thought why the hell have i acted like this again??? during my break from the coffee we were so loved up and happy, we never had any sort of conflict or disagreement.

the following day i drank only one coffee in the morning and was craving for another in the same way a chain smoker craves a smoke, but i didnt have one as im not in my house and i wont be rude and just get up and just help myself. she said something and i took it the wrong way because of my irritable mood and we argued, its sad as now she's not my fiance, although im lucky she still is my mrs, everything is ok right now and soon we shall get back to where we were, but i been a twat cuz of the moods, i've realised how irritated and misrable and grumpy i can get ever since i got obsessed with coffee all those years ago with everybody or anything, well before i met my mrs, i guess cuz i hate being mardy and grumpy to her now and again that i realize that i do actually have a problem with it......

im not perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but ive took stock of everything and narrowed everything down to coffee and caffiene and my dirty lust for it...... i need to quit, and i will quit, it is a drug to me, it can alter the way i act, the way i react and the way i think like illegal drugs can. remember that different drugs effect different people in differents ways, im not here to antagonize anbody else's love for coffee, or preach about its a sin to be addicted to coffee, i just wanted to share my story about my experience with the dirty sexy coffee grrrrr...

i thought id come here and share this cuz ive openly talked about this to my parents and a couple of mates and they really think im talking out of my arse, so i figured that only fellow coffee addicts would be able to understand what im talking about, and i feel like a complete twat telling my mrs that its the coffee that makes me so mardy at her sometimes, she'll probably laugh at me and call for the men in white coats to collect me on a one way trip lol.......

they always say when you over indulgde in anything it is unhealthy and dangerous... for me, coffee is no different if u develop a hardcore craving for it like i did, and before you know it, you become a slave to it... everything i have said is my real life and 100% true... im gonna go cold turkey and get back on the herbal tea's in the morning, but first im gonna drink my last 2-3 cups of coffe, because it would be a shame not to have closure... :)

Last edited:

idrinkcoffee2011

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
well what a story. yea coffee withdrawal can suck i guess. i got a similiar problem in which my good coffee brand gone bad (started tasting weird and losing stimulus power) and i couldn't find an equal substitute. i found a foreign brand that gave some of the stimulus power that the old one had but still far from fullness.

all this being said, some of the great minds in history credited coffee for their mental prowess.

i guess the thing with coffee is either it makes you superman or you are on kyptonite without it.

Last edited:
May 28, 2012
Visit site
Try Decaf (I use Traders Joes), I made the switch almost a year ago due to what I think caused my heart rate to speed up like crazy on more than one occasion. The key for me is using a coffee presser and of course my flavored creamer =)

coffiend

Jun 5, 2012
Visit site
WOW, that's one heck of an addiction. i'm hooked on coffee, but not like that. i'm honestly surprised you can sleep, ever. If i had that much caffeine in my system, i'd be wide-eyed and alert at all times! i had a similar soda addiction at one point, to the point where if i hadn't had enough soda by 1pm, i'd get excruciating headaches for the rest of the day. Highly recommend switching to decaff, a constant stream of caffeine like that surely can't be good for your long term health.

ogcoffee

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
This is true..

This wouldn't be true if you had a healthy alternative other than pure caffeine. Most coffee is very acidic in nature so your body is getting acidy.

rebclick

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
Hey Matticus, Wow, what a story! Keep in mind that an addiction is a disease, no matter what the subject of that addiction. Most folks can't shake an addiction without some help. Don't be embarrased to talk to a professional about it. Seek out a doctor, perhaps a nutritionist, who can run some tests and help you make some alternative choices. Remember if you have a bad day, you can always start fresh. Every minute is an opportunity to make a new choice. Wishing you all the luck!

tankin_tummy

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
I had a similar problem... although not near as bad. I would need coffee, and if I didn't drink it I would get head aches... this is a sign of physical addictions. Try to cut back slowly.

What I did though, is drink one cup of coffee in the morning and then for rest of the day when I felt a need for caffiene I would drink green tea. Grean tea has about 1/2-1/3 the caffeine of coffee, also green tea has other natural stimulants. Or try Yerba Mate, that has zero caffeine but is loaded with stimulants that make you buzzed. Now I'm at the point where my caffeine cunsumption is tea during the work/school week, and then I treat my self to coffee on the weekends. It works great, I have no addiction and I drink coffee purely for the taste.

Another thing you could try too is wait about an hour after you wake up before you have coffee, or try to eat breakfast before drinking. When you do this you wake up naturally without any stimulants, then once awake you can drink all the coffee you want. This way your body still gets caffeine but it does not need it to wake up. I do this and I can wake up in the morning and don't feel the slightest need for coffee... about mid afternoon I do, but that's no biggie

ppkgan

May 9, 2012
Visit site
Sometimes I start feeling edgy, and start snapping. When I turn into a snapping turtle I put the coffee (and tea) away and take a break from the extra projects I am working on. It usually means that I have stretched me to thin by taking on more than I can handle. I then drink coffee to keep going and after a month I break down, get stressed out and turn into a giant... snapping turtle (bet you thought I was going to say something else!)

I also tend to have heart issues when I get to that point as well as high blood preasure. However, my story is my story, yours is different and depending on how addictive your personality is you may have to give it up. Like everything though if it is causing you to have the issues that you are giving it up wont be a bad thing. Every time I have given up something that was bad for me, even if it was tough, the results were worth it!

Hang in there, you never know this might be a door opening to something great!

markkislich

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
Alright how about de-caffeinating once a week, like on the weekends? Like no coffee on Sat, or even the whole weekend.
It will help get the caffeine out of the system, improve sleep, and you won't get that caffeine adaptation (so it stays effective).
Then there is Sulforaphane, a substance found in broccoli, other cruciferous veggies and in supplements which are basically concentrates of same.

The Sulforaphane helps metabolize the caffeine faster. And yeah, Green Tea later on in the day instead of coffee, it has theanine and is rather calming, in spite of the (lower) caffeine content.

UI wrote a thread on this over in the business section.
Good Luck!

Mark

expat

May 1, 2012
Ireland
Visit site
If length of post is any indication of level of addiction I think we'd all have to say that you've got it bad. Maybe time to take a break. Herbal tea is maybe the direction you need to head in.