I just bought TWO Franke Evolution machines for $25 each... HELP!

Ben325e

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I don't even know where to start. I bought two Franke Evolution two step espresso machines for $50. I had originally contacted a seller on craigslist because I wanted to buy my wife a Juicer for Christmas. I got a Rotor Sanamat commercial grade juicer for a very good deal. The seller also had a these espresso machines as well as a commercial dishwasher and he sold them all to me for $250. These came out of a Port City Java franchise. The owner sold his franchise, but the buyer was required to buy different machines because corporate wanted all locations to get the same machines so that the product was equal.

Imagine you went into a coffee shop and took these machines off the counter after a somewhat messy barista worked a solid week of slammed busy shifts without cleaning the machines at all, and then put them in storage for two years. That's what I'm looking at here. But, all the pieces and parts are accounted for, so that's good.

I will take these to the same company that originally serviced them while they were in use, but only after I've done everything I can to get them as close to 100% as possible. I don't know the first thing about espresso machines, but I am a third year engineering student with a very well equipped home shop as well as access to industrial cnc machines and test equipment. I have regulated power supplies, oscilloscope, etc. and am focusing on both mechanical and industrial systems engineering.

Apart from scrupulously cleaning everything, is there anything I should know or precautions I should take when going through these? I'll post pictures once I bring them in from my SUV while my kids are napping.

Here is a url to the machines I have: wholelattelove.com/franke/evolution_2step.cfm

A service manual would be awesome if someone has access to one. Schematics, anything really would help. I have the user manual and the illustrated parts list is available readily online after a google search.

I know I have some obligatory "YOU SUCK!"s coming my way, [SUP]especially since I don't even really drink coffee....
[/SUP]

Thanks for your help,

Ben

P.S. When I picked them up last night, I had to wait for the gate to open on his covered bridge to the private island he lived on, so I guess that's why I got them so cheap... ?

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
What do you intend to do with them once cleaned, etc? Surely they would need direct plumbing, dedicated circuit, etc. You still end up with a super automatic machine that won't touch what a decent barista/equipment can do. Those machines are well suited for an office or similar, but there is no way I would use one where the focus is actually on the coffee. Why do you think Charbux, DcMonalds, etc suck? It's not just the coffee or the employees, but the equipment being so automated also plays a large part. Good luck with your steal.

Ben325e

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
Oh, don't get me wrong :) I don't even drink coffee. They do need a 30 amp 220v circuit and plumbing, but I have no intention of using them for myself, at a coffee shop, in an office, or anywhere else. I'm sure that starbucks and McD's has quite inferior quality coffee, espresso, hamburgers and anything else, but they literally have people lining up inside and outside their businesses to pay way too much for their inferior quality coffee made by superautomatic espresso machines and the like.

It's too easy to become caught up on the bespoke side of things. An experienced barista will make just that; bespoke coffee. But we could also argue that while bespoke shoes, tailored suits made on Saville Row in London, Custom Watanabe japanese knives, custom mattresses, bicycle frames, furniture, etc. will all firmly trounce the widely available mass produced straight-off-the-conveyor-belt alternatives, for most people that like coffee but don't have over 1000 posts on a coffee forum, hopefully these Franke Evolution machines will be alright. We're all looking for that sweet spot on our own personal "good, fast, and cheap, but pick two" scale of material quality we are willing to live with.

Don't get me wrong; I love industrial quality stuff. I have a shop full of mega expensive tools that most people would consider unnecessary. Want to tension a belt on a machine? Let me get out my german made sonic tension meter. Need some glue? Here's my $600 glue gun with 14 different application shaped tips that requires an air compressor to push the glue out because your hand would wear out trying to squeeze the glue fast enough. And that air compressor? A 160 gallon twin scroll compressor with my very own 80 cfm air dryer. We all have those thing that are important to us, but for other things we are fine with good enough. I drink tap water, my wife only likes our water through a brita filter.

I just want to refurbish these to like new condition and make someone who needs one or two of these a good deal, while turning a profit for myself. A company in central NC that services these told me they usually sell refurbished ones for 6500, so If I could refurbish one myself and then get a Franke service center to give it a clean bill of health, then sell it for 4500, I assume I'll be okay with that and the buyer will be getting a machine that the Franke service people said was in working order - hopefully a win/win for all parties involved.

My plan is to disassemble these down to their individual components and clean everything in my 80 kHz heated ultrasonic cleaner then reassemble it using new seals, o-rings, tubing, etc. Any do's and don'ts would be appreaciated, but if not I'll just go on my gut. :)

I hope my post doesn't sound like I'm upset or anything, I'm just sick and on my couch with too much time on my hands.

Last edited:

Ben325e

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
That wasn't my point; I'm just saying its really easy to look down your nose at things you're passionate about. I don't wear designer clothes and that doesn't bother me at all, but people on a style forum would look down on my wardrobe most likely. It was said that these two machines were only good for home use or an office - but aren't there tons of coffee places that use superautomatics? Most people likely feel abou coffee the way I feel about my wardrobe, they want something that's pretty good but probably not at the level of quality you might prefer. Just like how people who are really into chocolate love extremely dark chocolate, but most people are okay with Hershey's or the like.

Im no rich, but tools are my passion so I am always looking out for deals. Most of my tools are used industrialthat I bought for really cheap. I have a GMC envoy with 171k and a Subaru Forrester with 283000 miles.
I paid $1500 total for both and do my own service.

I came asking for tips or guidance, by I understand that most people don't refurbish their own espresso machines. I didn't know if any service or repair techs would be on the forum who could guide me in the right direction.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hello Ben325e

I remember there were a couple of members on this Coffee Forum who repaired and refurbished espresso machines, but they haven't been around the Forum in a long time.

How do you find the good deals on your mega expensive tools and equipment? Are you a wheeler dealer, or is it that you're mostly at the right place at the right time?

It sounds like you've already got a pretty good plan to refurbish the machines. Even if you only get one machine to work right, you'll still make a profit when you find a buyer.

Rose

Latest posts