I mail ordered some coffee.

DML

Sep 9, 2006
Visit site
Well, I finally came to grips with the fact that I am not going to find much good coffee in my area and ordered some roasted beans from a well known supplier. I ordered 1lb each of Mysore Golden Nuggets (love that name) and Ethiopian Yirgacheffe. I ordered both in regular city roast. In retrospect, I should have gotten the full city roast. The beans are lighter then I expected.

I really like the Ethiopian Yirgacheffe better then the Golden Nuggets. The Mysore Golden Nuggets seems kind of bland. Maybe a darker roast would have brought out more flavor. I made a quart of each and took it to work. The people there thought the same thing. The Ethiopian coffee is better.

Jackson

Aug 22, 2006
Columbus, OH
Visit site
Hi DML,
I'm glad you tried both coffees. Yirgacheffe is a very distinguished coffee. One thing about Indian coffee is India is the sixth largest coffee exporting country in the world. I read an article that stated 80% of the coffee exported out of India is called Mysore. The best grade of Mysore coffee is called "extra bold". Without tasting the coffee, it is hard to tell what grade you have.
I have two good friends that roast coffee for a living, and niether of them are able to buy Mysore right now. I will say that if you like Yirgacheffe, you should look for coffees that are labeled "high acidic". Mysore will not be in that catagory.
There are some folks that post on this forum that would be able to tell you other coffees you might like as well.

Just to add to the topic, I never heard of those coffees you are mentioning but if Jackson is right and the main characteristic is high acidity, then you will enjoy my coffee.

It comes from the Tarrazu region, more specifically the Dota Micro-climate and it has a high acidity because of the altitude range we grow it at (the farm is at 5,800 feet) and the volcanic soil.

moonmonkey

Jun 22, 2004
Illinois
Visit site
DML,

Glad to hear that you love the Yirgacheffe. I haven't been able to find a coffee that I like more than that. I would agree with you in saying that the nuggets is better as a dark roast, however if you prefer acidic coffee you will not get that from the Indian cofee's. Have you ever tried the Kenya AA. That is our most popular at the shop and is also a very acidic coffee.