I Need Roasting Advice! Costa Rica Las Lajas

BronzeBeanOmar

Mar 21, 2021
Visit site
Hi Everyone!

For my first post I'd like to ask some of the more experience members than me for some advice. I roast on the Arc Roaster 800 and recently roasted a Costa Rica Las Lajas (Black Diamond Honey Process). The coffee tastes good, but I feel like the bean has the potential to be waaayyy better. Can you guys give me any pointers on how I can improve my roast? Graph is below.

Screenshot 2021-03-21 100206.png

-Omar

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
Your chart doesn't tell us much without knowing what flavor you're not happy with (even then tough). I roast honey processed like naturals - they don't like a lot of heat up front.

BronzeBeanOmar

Mar 21, 2021
Visit site
Your chart doesn't tell us much without knowing what flavor you're not happy with (even then tough). I roast honey processed like naturals - they don't like a lot of heat up front.

There's not necessarily a flavor in it that I don't like, but its more that there's a lack of enough flavor. I'd like to emphasize some of the more fruity flavors. I did taste a hint of berries, but not as much as I expected to (considering the reviews and cupping score (93.75)). I'll try less heat upfront on my next roast and see if that makes a difference. Keep in mind, this is probably only my ~40th roast, so I'm still trying to learn how to bring out the best in a coffee.

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
Well - your numbers are looking pretty solid, maybe drop a few seconds earlier but I cant imagine that would change it much. Make sure to read Robb Hoos book if you haven't already.

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
Here you go... IMO the best book on roasting... a little detailed so read Scott's book first and digest it first. One thing about Scott's book since its been published... please use it as a GUIDELINE not as a end-all of roasting. A lot of people use the ratios, etc as the ONLY way to roast - no true. Cup & cup & cup again... let your tastebuds guide you.

https://hoos.coffee/book

vignash

May 10, 2022
Singapore
Visit site
I have the same issue with my Costa Rica Chirripo, Villa Sarchi! I have roasted with 2 profiles of light (1kg) and another med-light (1kg) using a 2kg Dongyi roaster. I find that the tastes for both is kind of blend. It tastes like coffee alright, but it is lacking an oomph - all those flavours that is stored inside Villa Sarchi is not becoming.

Roast profiles for Light Roast are:
1) Charge in: 190 deg C
2) Moist: 10%
3) Turning point: 105 deg C @ 1:50min
4) Yellowing: 150 deg C @ 5:30min
5) Browning: 180 deg C @ 8:21min
6) First Crack: 195 deg C @ 10:00min
7) Open Roaster: 198 deg C @ 11:17min

The med-light roast has similar profile, but just extended longer by a few seconds. Is there anything that i should take note of or any advice that i can follow to spice up my Costa Rica?