I Tried Adding Chocolate Oil Flavor on Columbian Home Roast - Here Are Results

NobHillNotary

Aug 26, 2016
San Francisco
Visit site
I bought some chocolate flavor oils to try on my roasts from www.CoffeeFlavorOils.com. Most of their oils are merely chemicals but they do have a few natural flavors I may try one day. For now I chose their most popular oil for chocolate. I followed the instructions applying the flavor at 110 temperature of he beans and let them dry for an hour. Here are the results:

1. There was no chocolate smell at all in the coffee pre ground, ground and during brewing.
2. I poured 1/2 teaspoon on 8 oz of organic Columbian coffee at 110 degrees that should be sufficient for flavor. The beans were completely saturated and smelled of chemicals.
3. There was no chocolate smell in the coffee after extraction in Aeropress.
4. The coffee did not taste like chocolate to my senses that were confused about what I was tasting. I could tell something was different in the coffee but my brain couldn't determine what it was.

I have one other dark chocolate to try but I anticipate it will be the same results.

I came to he conclusion grinding up some chocolate nibs would be a far better solution to wanting chcolate flavor in my coffee. An expensive lesson was learned. I want only natural oils or additions in coffee, not to use chemicals.

I'd appreciate any other's experiences. :coffee:

Last edited:

lbeery

Nov 1, 2016
Visit site
I would think the beans need to be cool and degassed before flavoring then let sit for at least 24 hours. I flavor all the time with Flavor Dynamics products (organic) and if you dont get the ratio right it will taste chemically. I do 3%-5%.