I want to purchase a Rancilio silvia and rocky grinder

G

hi, i'm a coffee simpleton from toronto, canada, trying to purchase a rancilio silvia and rocky grinder (doserless) for my husband's birthday.

would appreciate help with any of the following:

1. someone i can buy from! rancilio's official toronto supplier (tony from woodbridge) is striking me as a dud, doesn't respond to calls, v.shoddy customer service, don't want to buy from him. obviously i want the best possible price, too.

2. the definitive book on how to make espresso/lattes for a newbie.

3. what are the best roasted beans, and where to buy from?

4. are there any other essential accessories i'm missing?

huge thanks to anyone who takes the time to respond! please don't email me directly, as my account is shared with husband (this is a surprise).

pillguy

Jun 17, 2004
Houston, TX
Visit site
I would recommend you buy from www.wholelattelove.com. They will match any competitor, and offer wonderful advice and customer service. They are in New York, so they are up North anyway.

The Silvia is an excellent machine, but requires a lot of TLC to get things right. If you are new to espresso, I might recommend you try something like the Gaggia Baby. It is typically more suited to the beginner, but still makes a wonderful espresso. If you want a challenge, go with the Silvia. It will not dissappoint if you are willing to put in the time and waste the coffee to get it dialed in correctly. For beans, I might start with wholelattelove, and order Java Joe's Espresso Deluxe. It is a nice dark roast, and works well in both machines above. The Lavazza Super Crema is also a nice espresso roast. Try them both.
You will need a milk frothing pitcher, a thermometer, a tamper, some shot glasses that have a measurement for 1 and 2 oz on them, and a timer. Make sure you grind only what you are brewing, and store the beans in an air tight light free container.

sumocomputers

Feb 21, 2004
Visit site
I am also considering a Silvia and a Rocky. I currently have a Baratza Solis Maestro Plus grinder and Technivorm MoccaMaster for drip.

Here are my questions:

Considering all the good reviews at coffeegeek here,

http://www.coffeegeek.com/reviews/consu ... a?SeeAll=1

is there anything close to the Silvia for around the same money (say between $400-$600), or is this the sweet spot for price vs quality?

Do I need the Rocky, or will my Baratza do? I understand I have no doser, but besides this point.

I am big on reliability, ease of getting parts, and service. Any comments?

I am not worried about technique, that will not be a problem.

Thank you for your help.

pillguy

Jun 17, 2004
Houston, TX
Visit site
sumocomputers said:
is there anything close to the Silvia for around the same money (say between $400-$600), or is this the sweet spot for price vs quality?

Do I need the Rocky, or will my Baratza do? I understand I have no doser, but besides this point.

I am big on reliability, ease of getting parts, and service. Any comments?

I am not worried about technique, that will not be a problem.

Thank you for your help.

The Maestro Plus should be sufficient. I consider the Silvia to be the best of the single boiler units. So it is at the top of the price point. However, if your quest is for great espresso, I would get nothing less. The Silvia is a rock solid machine, and will last you for years. Remember, be patient with it. It will take you some time to master it. Fresh beans and a good grinder are a must. When I say fresh, I mean roasted less than a week ago. FRESH!!!

sumocomputers

Feb 21, 2004
Visit site
You bring up a good point about single boiler vs double boiler.

If I wanted to go double boiler, what manufacturers/models are recommended? Again, home use, but willing to spend money.

I assume the advantage of a double boiler is better separate regulation of temperature for steam and for espresso.

I would imagine waiting for the steam to get up to temp, as well as cooling down afterwards for espresso, would not be as big of an issue either.

Any other comments/suggestions?

Thanks

Chris

joshua123

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
Hi there,

I am new to the forums and stumbled upon here by doing a good search...

Anyways, I just wanted to let you know where you can buy these in Mississauga, ON as the other reply was from a US dealer, whole latte love... The warranty will not be covered in Canada. I see that this post was from 2004 but it may help future people in need.

There is a retail store in Mississauga, espressoplanet . com - lots of stuff, nice people and good prices.

Cheers,

Josh.