I WANT TO START A COFFEE SHOP! ANY ADVICE?

hoss

Feb 25, 2004
Visit site
MY WIFE AND I HAVE BEEN WANTING TO START A COFFEE SHOP FOR 4-5 YEARS NOW AND WE THINK WE ARE READY TO DO IT. WE ARE WANTING TO SET IT UP IN A RURAL AREA OF THE APPALACIAN MOUNTAINS. SO I AM TRYING TO START FIGURING OUT HOW MANY PEOPLE I WILL NEED A DAY TO STAY IN BUSINES, ETC...
ANY GOOD ADVICE ON HOW TO RESEARCH IF IT WILL BE PROFITABLE, WOULD BE GREAT!
WE ARE HOPEING TO MAKE IT A PLACE OF FRIENDSHIP AND FELLOWSHIP. A PLACE TO HANG OUT; ESPECIALLY SINCE THE NEAREST MALL IS 2 HOURS AWAY AND THE NEAREST THEATRE IS 45 MIN.

WE HAVE BOUGHT A 'HOW TO START A COFFE SHOP' BOOK WHICH IS OK AT STARTING A SHOP. BUT I NEED TO FIGURE OUT IF IT IS EVEN SMART TO TRY TO START A SHOP.
THANKS
MIKE

los72

Sep 16, 2003
austin
Visit site
Location, Location, Location

As you probably know it's all in the location!! We're about to open up our first Faracafe coffee shop and have been fortunate to get an ideal location where there aren't many competitors and has a lot of traffic coming thru. I will let you know in a few months how its going.

I think it can be a very profitable business if you have the right location and the right niche. Will you roast coffee onsite?

Mark
www.faracafe.com

hoss

Feb 25, 2004
Visit site
WHAT DID YOU DO

hI MARK
THANKS FOR WRITING. HOW DID YOU DO YOUR MARKET RESEARCH? HOW DID YOU KNOW WHO AND HOW MANY PEOPLE ARE GOING TO DRINK YOUR COFFEE?
THANKS MIKE

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
You wont get rich opening a coffee shop but you can make a living...I see a trend in a couple of posts...I see you wrote fellowship...try not to alienate anyone..if you focus towards only one religion you will turn someone off....and me personally wouldn't go into a "religious" based coffee shop.

hoss

Feb 25, 2004
Visit site
wont get rich?

HI KEN,
thanks for the thoughts.
won't get rich as in making $35k a year or only $100 k a year?
although i am a religious person i am not intending on starting a religious based coffee house. i am thinking more of a community hang out for the artisians to come in every week or two and do workshops, artist to show work, musicians to come and share their music, etc. i would really like to make it a place where young people can come and hang out with old folks and enjoy something together.
do you have a coffe shop? how did you figure out if you should or shouldn't attempt it?
thanks a lot,
mike

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
I guess what I am trying to say is that people see coffee shops making money and assume they will become millionaires...I know because I have done many a consulting jobs! I do not own a coffee shop I am a coffee roaster...yes you can make a good living with a coffee shop rich with one store...not feeling it....maybe our idea of rich is different. I wish you luck and I understand what you are saying now as your concept...word to the wise though I have seen this so many times....cool coffee shop...attracts the "in" kids....who sometimes can scare off people with money...not always but alot of the time.

Coffee Guy

Oct 19, 2003
Seattle,Washington USA
Visit site
Hello everyone. And welcome Hoss. Very interesting post. Hoss even before you move forward; the most important questions you should ask yourself include: Why do you want to do this? Are you prepared to work long hours, manage all of the affairs of the business? Deal with employees? Promote your business to the uneducated market place? There are a lot of people that get into this business for all of the wrong reasons, mostly dreams of making tons of money by having multiple locations, blah, blah, blah...Truthfully, you won't really find the answer in the forums. A better start is to pray for the wisdom to guide you through and the patience to see things through.

I am both a roaster and espresso business owner (previously with multiple locations). We decided to sell off a number of our locations to keep only one. We saw a need to assist those like yourself wanting to explore the coffee/espresso business. This is a very fun but competitive business to be in, but if you work it patiently and remain teachable good things can happen. Well that's my two cents...

O.K. now for a shameless plug... :p Visit our website and print out our free catalog...

hoss

Feb 25, 2004
Visit site
thanks for the info

i'm with you on the loss of life as a normal peron. my wife and i would really like to have just one shop maybe two and really use them as a place of community for arts, music, etc.
but my big question is 'does anyone do any market research before opening a shop?' it seems lots of people have books and knowledge on how-to but i am trying to figure out 'should i even try to start how-to'
any suggestions?
thanks

kcharles

Mar 1, 2004
Visit site
relocation?

Hello,
Would you consider relocation,I have a wonderful coffee shop that needs a new tennant,after 4yrs my present tenant is moving on to his own building.All you need is walk in open door and start,with lease agreement.Iam in Green bay,Wis.

javamocha

Mar 2, 2004
indonesia
Visit site
Hi mike,
I have started similar business and running quite well.

hoss said:
MY WIFE AND I HAVE BEEN WANTING TO START A COFFEE SHOP FOR 4-5 YEARS NOW AND WE THINK WE ARE READY TO DO IT. WE ARE WANTING TO SET IT UP IN A RURAL AREA OF THE APPALACIAN MOUNTAINS. SO I AM TRYING TO START FIGURING OUT HOW MANY PEOPLE I WILL NEED A DAY TO STAY IN BUSINES, ETC...
ANY GOOD ADVICE ON HOW TO RESEARCH IF IT WILL BE PROFITABLE, WOULD BE GREAT!
WE ARE HOPEING TO MAKE IT A PLACE OF FRIENDSHIP AND FELLOWSHIP. A PLACE TO HANG OUT; ESPECIALLY SINCE THE NEAREST MALL IS 2 HOURS AWAY AND THE NEAREST THEATRE IS 45 MIN.

WE HAVE BOUGHT A 'HOW TO START A COFFE SHOP' BOOK WHICH IS OK AT STARTING A SHOP. BUT I NEED TO FIGURE OUT IF IT IS EVEN SMART TO TRY TO START A SHOP.
THANKS
MIKE

wahidkarim

Feb 26, 2004
Visit site
startup

hello,
ill be more than glad to assist you, to begin with, dont invest hi-end equipment, check first, how many custommer do you expect, its quite a long list....why dont you emailme at [email protected]
I will assist you, BTW Im from Singapore, where you can find more than 50 types of coffee.

b/rgds
wahid

Coffee Guy

Oct 19, 2003
Seattle,Washington USA
Visit site
Hoss:

You're right there are a lot of books, and how to tapes, etc. from tons of experts out there. As for marketing plans, etc. the best thing in my opinion is to do your own home work. Go out into this community and ask them what they want. Something they might like to see. Be different, who says you have to be a Starbucks or Tully's. Bring your own uniqueness to the surface and run with it. Place an add in the local paper and seek others who might want to partner up with you. Pool OPM (other people's money) and ideas to assist you. You can either be a dreamer or dream maker. It all starts with a dream, the difference is what you decide to do after you dream it.

Coffee Guy

Oct 19, 2003
Seattle,Washington USA
Visit site
You bet. Always follow your gut, if it feels right, it usually is. So I'd say try a few things first and see how things go. When you are ready to go further by all means contact me and I'll be happy to do what I can.