Iced Coffee Vs Cold Coffee

Harry_Will1

Apr 20, 2020
Visit site
Many people out there think these are the same but they are not.
Let us find out why:
Iced coffee is brewed using hot water to extract flavor.
Cold coffee is brewed by soaking coffee beans cold or room-temperature water for 12 hours minimum to extract sugars, oils and caffeine.
Cold coffee can be served hot or cold.
Iced coffee can be served over ice.
Want to add anything else please share.

Mr.Peaberry

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Although there are many different extraction techniques for coffee, typically they are divided into hot and cold extraction methods...or hot brew, cold brew if you prefer. Ice has nothing to do with coffee extraction, only as a means to cool the temperature of extracted or brewed coffee. Ice can be added to any coffee beverage, but acts to dilute the strength of the coffee as it melts. The result of the dilution can be poor or, actually good. Drip brew hot coffee with ice added to it is not very flavorful. Refrigerated hot drip brew is a much better way to prepare iced coffee from hot extraction as the dilution of the beverage is minimal over the time taken to consume. In the same way cold brewed coffee does not extract the same as hot brewed coffee, but it can be served hot, cold, or iced. There are also coffee extracts that are intended to be the "instant coffee" of the coffee purist, and sometimes live up to the expectation as was the case with Michael Sivetz' extract before he passed. With a good quality extract one would have to heat up the extract and then introduce the ice...which I never have done, so I'm not so sure it would make a superior iced coffee. If you added hot water to the extract and then the ice...you have just wasted your extract, lol! Anyway, I only jumped in here to bring attention to the fact that extract is awesome, and there is a forum member who may or may not still be producing extract according to the methods provided by Michael Sivitz. If he is still here, maybe he would like to jump into this discussion.

Mr.Peaberry

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
The magic of coffee is really everything that happens prior to brewing anyway. Brewing just coaxes out of the beans the best of what their potential can be based on the preferences of the consumer. Brewing cannot extract that which is not there to begin with. There are also bad things that can be extracted by hot brew, and good things that cannot be extracted with cold brew. There is no other beverage so varied in complexity with such a wide range of outcomes before even considering post brewing additions like syrups and sweeteners and dairy products...

BestProductsHouse

Mar 7, 2020
Visit site
Iced-Coffee-vs-Cold-Brew-404x420.jpg
Cold brew has some differences compared to hot and iced coffee, whenever you want to make cold brewing coffee, it takes just a few simple steps to make it happen. On the other hand, hot brewed coffee is not as simple as cold coffee is.

As I mentioned earlier the cold coffee is made by steeping the coffee grounds in the cold water for about 12 to 24 hours whereas the hot coffee needs a coffee maker or plenty of processes to make it.

Typical hot and iced coffee beverages have acidity and bitter flavors that might not be suitable for everyone though, hot coffee is the best for most of the people in the world. However, cold brew has a lower possibility of having acidity and bitter flavors, instead, it provides consistency and sweeter flavors which is good at all.

MntnMan62

Nov 15, 2019
New Jersey
Visit site
I am very intrigued by cold brew coffee. Iced coffee has no real appeal but I've heard some really good things about cold brew. I'm going to use my french press and give it a try. I was told that once it's done, add some cold frothed milk and "it's like having dessert." That's extremely appealing to me.

Hely

Oct 29, 2020
USA
Visit site
I always made cold coffee according to this recipe: poured coffee with boiling water, left for 5 minutes to cool down, sat down at the computer, forgot about coffee, came back in an hour, and then Voila, cold coffee according to Hely's recipe is ready)
In general, I do not like to drink cold coffee, no matter what recipe it was made. I'm used to fact that the coffee have to be hot.
Also I can't drink hot alcohol, I'm used to it have to be cool.

Veromiller

Jun 26, 2022
Florida
Visit site
Yeah, iced and coffee both are almost same. I mostly used this one make iced coffee which brewing system for big families who prefer variety in their drinks. 50 fl oz brew capacity. Take 10-min to cold brew.

Last edited: