If you were opening an espresso shop, what would you buy?

jez

Jan 26, 2004
Brooklyn Center, MN
Visit site
Espresso Machines

Hi there
I just wanted to correct myself on the name of the semi-auto espresso machine that I spoke of earlier.
It is the Salvatore brand. Of course after a little further research and some help from customer service, I have found that this particular machine is not quite the match I need for the service I want to provide. Good luck on your hunt. Keep us abreast.

espressoRescue

Feb 23, 2004
pacific northwest
Visit site
choosing a machine...

Mike, first of all, good luck on your new endevour. In regards to choosing an espresso machine, I wouldn't recommend using a 110v machine. It simply will not have enough capacity and recovery time in a commercial application. Even if the specs say it will make 30 cups and hour, it may not be able to make 10 drinks in quick succesion which is usually the case. Customers don't walk up in a nice orderly fashion one every 10 minutes! They tend to come in groups sporatically.

220v is available in virtually any commercial building or retail site so it shouln't be hard to get. Beyond that, try and find a machine that is supported by local service. The best machine is the one that is running and making you money. Let's face it, most of the commercial machines are pretty good. I sell one that I like and I am sure many people on the board would have a favorite too. But just make sure that parts and service are readily available. Nothing will hurt your new business more than turning new and potential customers away due to a breakdown.

good luck - Joe

wahidkarim

Feb 26, 2004
Visit site
real fast

anybody interested in 'Red Coffee"? easy money, no machine required only hot water, its a 3 in 1, although the name is Red Coffee, but the color is not...the taste? simply out of this world, looking for district distributor. email me for further info.

janie1963

Mar 8, 2004
Visit site
We haven't opened yet, but are building a drive-thru facility and the best advice I can give is...do a ton of research!!! Don't get into it to make a few bucks...you have to love coffee first and foremost. Talk with your local county offices: health department, planning , and zoning just to start with. Once you've done all that and still want to do it, then research coffee roasters and find one that has great coffee and offers exstensive training. In the beginning I thought I could do this for less $$$ than I,m spending( to have a successful drive-thru operation you'll need more than the espresso machine...2 grinders, blender, brewing system, refrigerator, ice machine, etc). Luckily I found a great deal on the espresso machine and grinders. don't forget the water filter system and possibly a water softener, as water is a major key to good coffee. My intial concept started more than a year ago and it's been 6 moths since I found a location and I'm still working on it. Finacially speaking, I'd plan to spend at least $20,000, especially if you'll be building the facility.

Having said all that, it can be done, even when some may tell you it can't. I think back to when I first had the thought to do this and how much I've learned since then and how much I've still got to learn....still it excites me.

Good luck and much success!!!!

janie1963

Mar 8, 2004
Visit site
We haven't opened yet, but are building a drive-thru facility and the best advice I can give is...do a ton of research!!! Don't get into it to make a few bucks...you have to love coffee first and foremost. Talk with your local county offices: health department, planning , and zoning just to start with. Once you've done all that and still want to do it, then research coffee roasters and find one that has great coffee and offers exstensive training. In the beginning I thought I could do this for less $$$ than I,m spending( to have a successful drive-thru operation you'll need more than the espresso machine...2 grinders, blender, brewing system, refrigerator, ice machine, etc). Luckily I found a great deal on the espresso machine and grinders. don't forget the water filter system and possibly a water softener, as water is a major key to good coffee. My intial concept started more than a year ago and it's been 6 moths since I found a location and I'm still working on it. Finacially speaking, I'd plan to spend at least $20,000, especially if you'll be building the facility.

Having said all that, it can be done, even when some may tell you it can't. I think back to when I first had the thought to do this and how much I've learned since then and how much I've still got to learn....still it excites me.

Good luck and much success!!!!

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
Competition is so tight now on machines...everyone puts out a good machine..who cares what Suzy around the corner is using...try them out personally and see what you think...price and service is an issue also.