I'll take a double nonfat expresso, please.

Hulkster

Jun 16, 2005
Visit site
Is it just me or does anyone here find it EXTREMELY annoying when people come into a coffee shop and order an "expresso"? It's just a pet peeve of mine and I was wondering if anyone else shared that contempt.

celement

Apr 17, 2005
Modesto, CA
Visit site
A Newbie and Opportunity

Few people asking for an espresso or expresso know what they are seeking...and usually you can tell by the way they say it....I have a few customers that really want two shots in a small 12 ounce cup maybe with a little ice or sugar....then we have the newbies that have no idea what they are asking for...and I take the time to ask if they really want a latte, machiato or mocha....usually its the mocha....

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
It's all about educating the customer....I am sure you didn't know everything about coffee the first time you went into a coffee shop. You have to remember people still get nervous asking for new things...So if they ask for an expresso repeat the order back to them....sure one eSpresso coming right up....but don't be a pompas ass and say..umm...we dont have expresso but I will gladly make you an espresso :wink:

SFG75

Dec 29, 2004
Midwest
Visit site
You know, I honestly thought that just annoyed me!. :) Glad to know that I'm not the only one out there who notices things like that. :D Have patience though, some day the nooblers will learn. :oops:

Donut44

Jul 27, 2005
Houston
Visit site
What is really annoying about it?

Just a question about what you really find annoying about it. Is it like the one poster said about "newbies" or something else? I only ask because I hate to be annoying, but I really love an espresso. Typically I will get an espresso at a nice restuarant, but one that is not too nice to where I don't trust their coffee. Too many times no one orders coffee at a restaurant and their coffee is burnt because it has been there so long, so I will get an espresso, knowing it will be done fresh and usually (or hopefully) with a better bean.

At a Starbucks or something I will get three shots in hot water (americano) or just a plain espresso. I just like the taste of an espresso and the way it bites the back of my throat.

CCafe

Aug 11, 2004
Des Moines, Iowa
Visit site
I think it is just America in general that doesn't understand what espresso is and calls it expresso. DaimlerChrysler produced the Neon Expresso back in the mid 90's and I believe this was one of the biggest complaints of coffee houses because people would come in and ask for an expresso! It’s amazing how many people related the word Expresso to the actual drink. So really it comes back to the dumbing of America.

So really I think we just need to stop people and say hey, it is espresso and it is spelled with a S, if you want an expresso you will have to call Dodge and order one!

redmoose

Aug 18, 2004
Visit site
fo real i hate expresso. almost to the point of murdering one who says it. now i dont mind if it is a newb of coffee cause we all have to learn. its those starbuck prepies who dont know real coffee from instant that just want hot chocolate and call it a mocha and if they asked for a latte you could just give them a vente grande ultra super size cup of hot milk and they would coment on the wonderfull taste of cofee. i say kill them all. okay maybee thats a little violent lets just be pompass and say
" we dont have eXpresso but I will gladly make you an eSpresso"

so you are not alone in your quest to defeat the stupidity of the average consumer

~redmoose~

whfite

Oct 28, 2004
Florida
Visit site
Hey, troops, there was a time when none of us knew what that stuff was called so how about a little less pretension and a little more consideration for those who are not quite so far along the learning curve as we?

Besides, the revulsion in the pit of one's stomach that comes from hearing a preppoid order an eXpresso is nothing compared to what occurs when you hear them order a "venti mocha macchiato (sic) with one sugar and one Splenda, half soy milk and half low-fat, and don't make it too strong, please."

Ahhhhhh, Star*uck's.

MrBox

Feb 21, 2006
Statesboro, GA
Visit site
maybe they can't pronounce it correctly

I'm an avid espresso drinker. But sometimes I don't pronounce it right. Because sometimes I let my country side be more prevelant. I have also been known to call it an eggspresso that said. I don't always have great grammer.

its a bit snobish to hate on a customer for the way they talk.

MrBox

Feb 21, 2006
Statesboro, GA
Visit site
next time your in a shop ask for a biscotto.

biscotti is plural

Red Eye: a cup of American coffee with a shot of espresso in it. Also known as Shot in the Dark, Eye Opener or Depth Charge.

garyscottadamson

Apr 8, 2007
UK
Visit site
They simply don't understand, and it's our job to educate them. Then there's th e ones who think they're smart.

A couple of weeks back somebody thought they'd be clever and order a double-mocha-espresso-latte... I told them that it didn't exist and offered them an americano!

But this is the problem, people just don't understand!

davidsbiscotti

Oct 4, 2007
Visit site
MrBox said:
next time your in a shop ask for a biscotto.

biscotti is plural

Red Eye: a cup of American coffee with a shot of espresso in it. Also known as Shot in the Dark, Eye Opener or Depth Charge.

Biscotti come in many variants; in different regions of Italy, biscotti are prepared or flavoured differently. In Tuscany they are often eaten with vin santo, though in other parts of the world (particularly the United States) biscotti are considered an essential part of the espresso bar experience. Wikipedia.