Illy's take on the french press

garyscottadamson

Apr 8, 2007
UK
Visit site
I was just browsing through Illy's website and it claims that when using the french press, the coffee should be pressed straight away and that there's no need to leave it. This is the complete opposite of what I believed, is there any truth in it?

4. Immediately press the coffee using a slow, downward motion. You do not need to let the brew sit before pressing. Lowering the plunger slowly with minimal pressure produces the best results. Be careful not to use too much force to push the plunger down because it could cause scalding liquid to shoot out from the spout of the pot.

The article can be found here
http://int.illy.com/int/coffee/rituals- ... &l2=4&l3=3

garyscottadamson

Apr 8, 2007
UK
Visit site
I totally agree, but when Illy are meant to be the masters of coffee and claim to have spent "hours researching" the perfect way to do things, it's weird that they would come up with this rubbish.

I guess Illy should stick to espresso. Who would want Illy's blend in a cafetiere anyway, I'd probably stick with single origins.

OldSchool

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site
I fully agree with Illy's suggestion.
Pushing down the plunger immediately after adding the water--without brewing/steeping produces an excellent cup of coffee.
The resulting coffee most certainly does not look like iced tea.