Improving the taste of pod coffee

JeffD

Jan 27, 2022
Upstate New York
Visit site
I drink a fair amount Keurig pod coffee. I discovered that I have been gradually drinking weaker and weaker pod coffee, so that, by comparison to other ways of making a cup of coffee, pods seem really lame.

So I have recently been consciously more rigorous in keeping 6 oz water per pod. Wow, much better flavor! If I want a full mug, (12 oz) I make two pods of 6 0z each.

What I do is make pod coffee and then, to distract me while the machine runs, I make a 12 cup pot of drip coffee. Upon completion of that task, my pod cup is ready. And upon finishing my pod coffee, my drip coffee ready and waiting.

I love "coffee right away" and the promise of more. With this strategy coffee is waiting for me - I should never be waiting for coffee. :)

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
You have discovered one of the many issues with k-cups. They physically can only hold a max of around 11 grams which is great for 6oz cups.. .or brown water for larger.

JeffD

Jan 27, 2022
Upstate New York
Visit site
Yes it is a different experience with one k-cup per 6 oz of coffee. I started that way but gradually got lazy and was doing a mug of coffee per k-cup. Wrong wrong wrong. :)

If what one wants is a decent 6 oz cup of coffee, a k-cup (of good coffee) works well. Certainly not the worst alternative, even to one who knows good coffee.

I have a couple of sets of 6 oz coffee cups, that I acquired or inherited, and it is fun to use them.