Installing a Roaster--what to say to the municipality?

AJPRATT

Mar 7, 2007
Atlantic City, NJ
Visit site
I am in the process of negotiating a lease. Before we get too far along, I want to make sure that I will be able to roast on site. Do you have any advice on how to approach the municipality or good questions to ask them? How do I explain to them what I need?

John P

Jan 5, 2007
Salt Lake City
Visit site
AJ,

Talk to local fire marshall for proper fire safety, ductwork, etc.
Talk to Health dept. Do you need afterburner? Any possible pollution "issues"?
Talk to Zoning commission. Is it ok to roast in that location?

In addition, I would know what roaster you will be using so you know the parameters for physical installation--including clearance around the roaster, ductwork, etc. Lack of this won't fare well for you. That should cover it. Have specific answers from everyone before you attempt to negotiate a lease.

And the adventure begins! :D

AJPRATT

Mar 7, 2007
Atlantic City, NJ
Visit site
Thanks, John... That's exactly my point. If I can't do exactly what I want to do, the location will be of no good to me. Thanks for your advice and for validating my concerns.

BeanGrinder

Aug 11, 2004
North Georgia, USA
Visit site
WAIT!!! Before you call the health department, check with the Department of Agriculture. In many states, coffee roasters are regulated by the Ag department and it is usually much easier to work with than the health department.

AJPRATT

Mar 7, 2007
Atlantic City, NJ
Visit site
I'd love that FreshRoaster, but I would rather own my machine out right. I understand that your program may be a great option for some people, but its not the way I am choosing to go. With your program, the more successful I am with my roasting business, the more expensive your machine will be. I'd rather have the fixed cost or lease payment until my machine is paid off.

AJPRATT

Mar 7, 2007
Atlantic City, NJ
Visit site
Thanks, ElPugDiablo! Its actually, perfectly on-topic. I love the Ambex YM-10 and all of the information Terry has helped me by providing. There is a coffee roaster in the next county who has a YM-30 and I have spent some time with her, even allowing me to help roast.

I checked out the John Larkin site... it appears they are about 2 hours from me. I'll have to see if they travel "way down here". LOL